Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried posting a thread like this on a basset hound forum, where I am sure I would have gotten more feedback, but was having a HECK of a time trying to figure out how I could meet the minimum requirements before being allowed to post a thread :rolleyes:

Anyways, I hope at least a few people here can give me some helpful feedback! This is Gus, our new 7 1/2 week old basset hound pup :D We just got him yesterday from a local small-time breeder. The first thing that struck us when we met him was his very unique coat color and beautiful blue/green eyes. He and his sister were the last two left (although his sister was already sold and went to her new home this morning) and she was the same odd color as him- only she was mostly white with patches of color. They are purebred puppies (although not papered) and the mother and father are your typical black and tan (the mother being predominantly white with patches and ticking and the father more solid like Gus's pattern). However, we were told that the mother has a total of two blue puppies in past litters, which leads me to believe that Gus has the same dilution gene going on that causes the blue coat color.
My theory is that unlike the blues who are a dilution of black and tans, he has the same dilution- just on a red base color. The thing is- I haven't been able to find a single basset anywhere with coloring that even slightly resembles his! I've found a good handful of blues after some good searching- but none that look like him or his sister.
Has anyone seen a purebred basset that looks anything like him?!

^^ That last one is closest to his actual color and shows how blue his eyes really are :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
I don't have much personal experience with hounds so some of our other members might have a more definitive answer for you but do a bit of research on "lemon" or "lemon and white" bassets.;)

Cute pup btw!:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kmes is correct - he looks like a lemon and white to me :) GORGEOUS and I love the colour, but not necessarily unique, atleast not here in Scotland :)

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
what a georgeous puppy! so want to hug him/her!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the input!
He does look a bit like a lemon, but from what I have found, lemons are a much richer and darker orangey tone with your normal brown eyes, whereas Gus is an odd, diluted/muted tone with the eye color of a blue basset.
I did read somewhere, however, that "true" lemon bassets are quite rare, born completely white and then turn very light tan as adults, and that the color that most people claim to be lemon is merely a light red. Who knows??
This is what I've seen called a lemon
http://greatdogbreed.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Basset-Hound-puppies-9.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5077/5886970360_89235172d9_z.jpg

http://dgicdplf3pvka.cloudfront.net/895586/lemon--white-female-basset-puppy-lillydog-basset-hound-puppy-af1f31e9-db87-4467-a3f9-9d41f1f23592.jpg

http://thepetspot.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/240441.jpg

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
I've seen a couple of Bassets that colour, lemon & white is the best to describe it.

Be warned that your pup may be more susceptible to certain health issues, and could possibly have hearing problems/deafness. It's a reason why blue eyes are a big fault in the Basset standard.

Reactions: Mjjean

·
Registered
259 Posts
Aww super cute pup

My neighbour's Bassett mix has the same coloring just a bit yellower. I've seen a pale lemon beagle at work and callie's foster mom has a lemon beagle that's more dark yellow orange. My favorite hound coloring

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Thank you all for the input!
He does look a bit like a lemon, but from what I have found, lemons are a much richer and darker orangey tone with your normal brown eyes, whereas Gus is an odd, diluted/muted tone with the eye color of a blue basset.
I did read somewhere, however, that "true" lemon bassets are quite rare, born completely white and then turn very light tan as adults, and that the color that most people claim to be lemon is merely a light red. Who knows??
This is what I've seen called a lemon
http://greatdogbreed.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Basset-Hound-puppies-9.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5077/5886970360_89235172d9_z.jpg

http://dgicdplf3pvka.cloudfront.net/895586/lemon--white-female-basset-puppy-lillydog-basset-hound-puppy-af1f31e9-db87-4467-a3f9-9d41f1f23592.jpg

http://thepetspot.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/240441.jpg
He might darken as he ages. :) And I don't think his eye color will stay that, either.

Cute pup!

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
What a beautiful boy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone for the input and compliments! :D

I think I'm sticking to my theory.. not because I want a rare colored dog, but just because the genetics behind it makes sense to me :)
I agree that his eye color will change.. I think he'll have the eye color of a mature blue basset. His eyes are the same color now as a blue pup, so I think it would make sense that they would end up the same color in adulthood as the blues.
Blue Boy | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Windy Ridge Basset Hounds - Our Blue Basset Hound

There's no way his eye color is normal...

I also found the info on blues and lemons that I referred to earlier:
"BASSET COLOR: The tri-color is the most common, followed by the red & white. Tri's at times can appear to be black and white, but on closer inspection, a touch of brown usually can be found. Red & whites can be almost completely white with just a few spots of tan, or they can be a deep mahogany color with only a small amount of white. Most come somewhere in between. There are also lemon & whites. True lemons are rare. Their markings are mostly white that fades into areas of very, very light tan. To tell if it is a true lemon, the puppy, at birth is totally white with no hint of tan. The light tan color develops as they mature. It should also be noted that the color and coverage of the marking of the puppy you get at 10-12 weeks will change as they mature. Every once in a while, a "rare" blue Basset (actually it is gray) will come along. You will read or hear that they will have problems. Such as skin etc. But this is not true at all. The blue comes from a recessive gene, and the only difference is the color. The stories you hear are from none breeders or breeders that have never had one. The standard states "any recognizable hound color is acceptable", and blue is a recognized color in some other hound breeds, so it's not illegal. They can be registered with any kennel club, AKC, UKC or any other. "

I guess it makes sense that I can't find a single thing on Gus's color, because it is already SO hard to find examples of blue bassets and people with bassets the color of Gus probably brush them off as just being lemon?

·
Registered
861 Posts
I've seen a couple of Bassets that colour, lemon & white is the best to describe it.

Be warned that your pup may be more susceptible to certain health issues, and could possibly have hearing problems/deafness. It's a reason why blue eyes are a big fault in the Basset standard.
THIS! Not saying the pup will have problems, but the eye color is genetically linked to an increased risk of hearing and possibly sight as well as a few other problems.

That is the exact coloring and markings most of my Basset's littermates had, but with proper brown eyes. I think it's pretty, but a bit boring to me. I chose a tri colored male :)

And that info linked above me? Yeah, totally bullpucky. There is most definitely an increased risk of health issues from dogs that inherited double recessive genes and whoever put that crap out there is likely totally ignorant or a BYB trying to sell dogs to fools.

Sure, those dogs can be registered, because they come from registered parents. But registration doesn't mean they are healthy or that they wouldn't be faulted heavily in the show ring for being incorrect. And there is a good reason for that! Not to mention just because "blue" is a recognized color for OTHER hound breeds doesn't make it a proper color for a Basset. And your hound is NOT "blue", it's lemon with blue eyes. Why is it so rare for a blue hound or a blue eyed hound? Because good breeders rarely have crap genes pop up!

·
Registered
861 Posts
P.S., I checked out the kennel you linked. They pretty much define BYB.
Mention of their blue hound all over (breeding for color is bad, being proud of incorrect color is horrible). Z

Zero mention of genetic health testing.

Also zero mention of the dogs being bred doing anything to prove breed worthy. No working titles, no mention even of being used informally for hunting, either. No mention of being shown.

They admittedly skimp on their food. They posted an entire page about vaccination at home full of misinformation or not enough information. The suggestion to use a flea collar is terrible and yes, you can use many quality flea treatments and preventatives on pups younger that 12 weeks ... I could go on.

I wouldn't take any advice on the breed from those people if they were the last Basset breeders in the world!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I think he is lemon but also dilute. ee red is the technical term for lemon so all lemons are reds. I don't know about basset hounds but we have lemon and then true red and then light red sables in papillons. Many people accidentally register light red sables as 'red' dogs. If there is any black in the coat (or in his case blue since it's dilute) then he's not a lemon. He really does look like a true recessive red though to me. Dilute only affects black pigment (or liver) so since he is an ee red which can have no black in the coat, his coat will be normal lemon color. However what makes me think he's dilute is nose and eye pigment. They look dilute.

As far as blue eyes being a problem... they are IF they are linked to certain traits. The problems are when the blue eyes come from a white spotting gene or double merle. The issue with blue eyes is lack of pigment. I would bet that the reason blue eyes are not acceptable in basset hounds is because they can be piebald. A piebald dog with blue eyes would be concerning especially if the dog has white on its ears. There are quite a few breeds that carry blue eyes that are not linked to any specific color.

His eyes are not going to stay blue more than likely. They'll end up an amberish color. I would not worry about his eyes at all. That said dilute dogs can have alopecia more often than non-dilute dogs.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Found this How to Tell a Good Breeder

Disreputable or unethical breeders will try to sell you the "rare blue basset." So called blue bassets are prone to a condition called color dilution alopecia, in which the hair coat is sparse and unpleasant to the touch. Other health problems have been reported in this color, and no reputable breeder will breed for this trait. As well, bassets do not normally have blue eyes. And if someone is selling you a "unique blue-eyed basset"—don’t buy it. Blue eyes are indicative of possible genetic weaknesses that can lead to serious health issues.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts