Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I'm just new to this but im hoping you can help me. I have a 4mnth old shih tzu, until recently slept no problem in the kitchen at night in her own bed. However last weekend we tried her in the kennel overnight, and since then, when we are heading to bed at night-she refuses to be left in the kitchen now-which was never a problem before. I have tried leaving the light on at night- but within minutes is whimpering and scratching at the door. I hve tried to be strict and ignore it,however after an hour or so it gets louder. I then had to bring her to our room,where she settles straight away, and falls asleep.

I really dont want her sleeping in our room, but as this stage with the lack of sleep i have no choice. I went out today and brought a crate-so thinking of trying that out.

Any sort of advice is much appreciated

Laura:ponder::ponder::ponder:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sleeping with you in the bedroom beats sleeping with her in the kitchen - which is what I did initially with my 10 week old puppy! I cannot offer advice because I regard my dogs as part of my family. I am against crates, dog collars (unless necessary), sleeping outside, dog kennels, etc... anything restrictive bothers me. Perhaps your dog was traumatised when left in the kennel overnight. She probably feels insecure and is anxious that you might leave her again. By sleeping in your room, she feels safe.

·
Registered
94 Posts
crates are a great training tool for dogs, especially when they're puppies. dogs are natural den animals and they won't potty where they sleep plus it'll make sure they can't tear up anything or get into trouble while you sleep. yes, she will probably whine in it as well at first, especially since she has already gotten to sleep with you so she knows she has options, it might help her if the crate is placed in your room. i crate trained xander until he was fully house broken, now he sleeps in bed with us every night.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts