Dog Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Forgive me in a little confused about your posts.
What age did you bring home the pup?
Did the mouth problems start a few days after treating the eye?
Did the pup have the eye problem before you brought him home?
Do you have any way to access the details of the other people who bought the other puppies to see if they have the same issue?
Can you post update pics?
I took the puppy home at seven/eight weeks of age from a farm . He was the most gentle and calm wee dog out of the litter of eight and he is who I chose . Maybe this was because he was sick but anyway . The evening of bringing him home i wormed him with what the pet shop said were the best for puppies, noticed the eyes two days after so had a phone consultation with vet and prescribed eye drops as couldn't enter with covid . It was the day after the eye drops I noticed he was very Ill and posted photos here and was told to get an appointment in the vet I did eventually get an appointment and he was tested for mites skin scrape and other things and it was non of them. They said the same infection was in the eyes the mouth and ears . His ears and mouth are very sore crusty and often bleed . He is on antibiotic every morning and every evening ear drops twice a day and the same eye drops . The vets didn't have an answer for me and even started looking through a huge vet encyclopedia for an answer , this is where I stand of is right now keeping him fed and watered and comfortable and looking for improvements

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thankyou for clarifying.
7-8 weeks is fine to bring home. A puppy is weaned by then. I dont know why people have mentioned its wrong of the breeder to let a pup go at age. I got my dog at 8 weeks and so was my previous dog.
Can dogs get herpes?
Can you post an update pic?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thankyou for clarifying.
7-8 weeks is fine to bring home. A puppy is weaned by then. I dont know why people have mentioned its wrong of the breeder to let a pup go at age. I got my dog at 8 weeks and so was my previous dog.
Can dogs get herpes?
Can you post an update pic?

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Does the pup have any other symptoms
Vomiting
Diarreah
Eating properly
Not eating properly
10 days is far to long to wait for vet. If a vet says 10 days, that is if the puppy starts to get bettter.
If a vet says 10 days, and things start to get worse or dont improve then it is imperative to see vet sooner.
Being such a young puppy this is classed as an emergency in a vets eyes.
If you werent happy with that vet see another one.
I think a blood test would be beneficial

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are you sure the poor guy isn’t allergic to the eye drops or the wormer you used? Either could cause a reaction like that, especially if use is continued.

·
Registered
287 Posts
If biopsy dosnt show definatley get a blood test especialy zinc levels and thyroid checked
Please read also about zinc responsive dermatosis. It shouldnt be too hard for the vet to find out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Update on benji at long last we have found out . It is called puppy strangles . I noticed a growth in his throat and mentioned it to the vet yesterday and she connected the two . It’s juvenile puppy cellulitis, over a thousand euro down on a 11 week old puppy hope he is a loyal boy in the future 😁 he is now on the road to recovery

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts
I don't know about strangles in dogs but in horses it is very contagious - I assume it's the same for dogs so please be very careful not to pass it on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Update , Benji has come on really well and reapoding well to the tablets , completely changed dog since , thanks for all your help
D618E4FF-3161-42C9-BB8E-F02CAB9E31EB.jpeg
8627BAEE-7B0B-4E94-9AAE-3D3690C319E6.jpeg

21 - 40 of 43 Posts