Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a seven week old collie who I have been treating for an eye infection for 3 days but soon noticed very sore dry swollen and bloody lips and white lumps around his mouth , due to covid19 the local vet is off limits and need some help on what to do . Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated,
Thanks in advanced
20200422_132844.jpg
20200422_134235.jpg
20200422_132831.jpg
20200422_132844.jpg
20200422_134235.jpg
20200422_132831.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,240 Posts
Your vet will not be off limits for emergencies. If he is, ring around until you find someone who will treat the poor creature, please don't allow Covid19 to be used as an excuse - vets are refusing routine appointments but will see sick animals. Start phoning now.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Vets will absolutley be open for emergencies. Only 7 weeks old can go down extremely fast. Please update how pup is going when you see vet.

·
Registered
435 Posts
ok I know for a fact an absolute fact that vets in Ireland are open I know because my son lives there so get that dog to a vet quick because it needs it don't you dare use this bloody infection as an excuse to neglect your puppy

·
Registered
285 Posts
ok I know for a fact an absolute fact that vets in Ireland are open I know because my son lives there so get that dog to a vet quick because it needs it don't you dare use this bloody infection as an excuse to neglect your puppy
I would imagine every country would have vets open. I saw mine last week for non emergency.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I'm not here to be criticised but here for some advise and help as I don't know , I have been doing what I can and with the situation here in ireland where I'm based yes emergency vets are available but what they themselves deem an emergency, I have had the pup for three days and doing everything I can for it so please don't jump to a conclusion that I'm making an excuse or not taking care of the pup , I have consulted with the vet and shown photos and have been told that it is not an emergency and to book him in for a few days time as they are full , I have been told that this is happening because he was taken of his mother too early ( also not my doing ) just trying to do what I can for the little guy

·
Registered
435 Posts
I would imagine every country would have vets open. I saw mine last week for non emergency.
actually I know some people who are in Hungary and others in Spain who says some smaller vet practices are closed. They are ones finding it too difficult to deal with the social distancing.
but my son lives in a small village in the countryside of Ireland and they are saying even their small that practice is open for routine things such as vaccinations they simply only allow one client in at a time and you have to make an appointment.sadly both here and on other social media platforms I am seeing more and more messages from people trying DIY veterinary and claiming that this is because of the lockdown precautions which is patently not true. I'm not sure if this is because people think it's true whether they are going on stupid gossip that's been spread or whether it's because they are so tight-fisted they would rather let their dogs suffer than actually seek medical help.

so I get really angry because the idea of a dog suffering for no good reason actually makes my stomach turn

·
Super Moderator
3,730 Posts
It's a confusing time we live in. Benji, please call around. Most vets where I reside (Southern California) are still taking emergency cases.

Please come back with an update. I share your concern for your dog's health.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Sorry I'm not here to be criticised but here for some advise and help as I don't know , I have been doing what I can and with the situation here in ireland where I'm based yes emergency vets are available but what they themselves deem an emergency, I have had the pup for three days and doing everything I can for it so please don't jump to a conclusion that I'm making an excuse or not taking care of the pup , I have consulted with the vet and shown photos and have been told that it is not an emergency and to book him in for a few days time as they are full , I have been told that this is happening because he was taken of his mother too early ( also not my doing ) just trying to do what I can for the little guy

I've seen pups taken from their mothers too early, but unless they are pulled from day 1 and didn't get the colostrum, I've not seen any have that type of health problem. The colostrum gives them a lot of their mothers antibodies and helps them fight off infections until their own immune systems catch up.

About the only shot in the dark, and it's a complete guess, that I could take on what your pup might have is mange. It generally starts around the eyes, muzzle, and ears, then the paws, finally the body. Like I said it's a complete shot in the dark, and whether if it is mange I hope it's puppy mange, aka demodex, and not sarcoptic.

As the others have said your puppy really needs to be seen by a vet, and I hope that yours manages to fit you in. Thanks for taking in the little one!

·
Registered
285 Posts
My apologies if i offended in anyway. The mange thing sounds plausible. Also maybe an allergic reaction to the isathal?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Benji has been to the vet it's not mites it's not mange , they are unsure what's going on with him but certainly. It came from the mother infection in lips eyes and ears is all the same infection and being treated with antibiotics ear drops eye drops and steroids , the vets couldn't give me a straight answer of what it is and gave me what they thought will treat him and to see him again in a few days

·
Registered
435 Posts
Im glad you have seen a vet and that they intend to check up on his progress.

He is very young and an eye infection could cause permenent damage. If the mother ois the same and the owner of the mother isnt getting treatment for both the mother plus any other pups you need to do something about it.

Obviously Benji was taken from the mother too soon , something the breeder should have known about and now this. You shouldnt have to foot the bill for this the breeder should as they have knowingly let a sick dog leave their care.
Its both against the law and morally wrong.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I quickly read bits of each post. I was alarmed when I first saw the photos. Young puppies can take a turn so fast that you don't have time to act before it's too late. I'm tremendously relieved that he was seen by a vet. But they're still not sure what it is? Get online and research things yourself and see if you can find something to mention to your vet. Hopefully it's something mild and is cured asap. I'm worried about the little guy. Best of luck!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Forgive me in a little confused about your posts.
What age did you bring home the pup?
Did the mouth problems start a few days after treating the eye?
Did the pup have the eye problem before you brought him home?
Do you have any way to access the details of the other people who bought the other puppies to see if they have the same issue?
Can you post update pics?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts