Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My roommate has an 11 month old GSD, who is best friends with my beagle/rott mix, Echo. They're both still puppies and they wrestle all the time. Both of them are very VERY submissive with other dogs, and get along well. I've never seen an aggressive act out of either besides very mild RG. Although the GSD can be over exuberant and pushy at times.

They were outside wrestling today when it erupted into a full fledged fight. I shot outside and tried to separate them, which was not easy. The GSD is 70lbs, versus Echo's 28lbs, and I was terrified Echo was gonna be seriously injured. And of course my other 2 dogs tried to help :eyeroll: which just made it worse. I wound up sitting on the gsd and slamming her head into the ground, and they finally quit. I got bit and scratched during it as well.

Echo was limping some, but neither dog came out with any real injuries. Some missing hair and a few scrapes, but no open wounds. I'm thinking that it was just one of them got offended during the rough play, and it got out of hand. Had it been a serious fight, I would think at least Echo would have some real injuries, since it went on for 2 minutes.

I'm just curious what you guys think? Obviously they're going to be watched and not outside together for a bit, but they're back to being best friends now.

Also there was no toys or food involved, so not anything about Rg.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Fights happen whenever there is a multi-dog household. Unless one or both were going in for the kill, I wouldn't look into it too much. Good that you were there to end it though.

·
Registered
875 Posts
If nobody was bleeding afterwards from serious wounds, then in spite of being ticked off at each other both dogs were not intending to seriously hurt the other dog. Although noisy and scary, it was just the doggie version of a screaming match between two people.

You probably got the teeth through redirected aggression and the like, I am sorry there was biting. But in theory everything should be fine, someone might have been sore or not feeling well that day and decided to not take the other dog's bull.

It might be a good idea just in case in the future, to redirect the shepherd when he or she becomes too exuberant. A 70 pound dog can cause serious injury to a 30 pound dog without even trying to just by running it over.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, that makes me feel better! My dogs have gotten in their share of squabbles, but they're all equally sized so it's not as unnerving. Even in a minor fight the GSD could cause damage because of size difference.

We do make the GSD calm down when she gets too crazy, though that's not usually with my dogs. Chess and Reese will take none of her bull and snap at her if she bothers them. Echo just ignores it and won't move when she gets like that. But she can be a real pill with dogs that do nothing to stop it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.