Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a Miniature Schnauzer last year. She's about three years old, and is in perfect health, but she absolutely refuses to eat for days on end, at times. She only weighs about ten pounds, and you can see her hip and spine bones.

I've taken her to a few different vets to figure out if she has any underlying issues, and all they can say is that she's just a very picky eater. They've suggested foods (Royal Canine, Blue Buffalo, raw foods, canned foods, if it's in the pet store you bet your hat I've tried it) and she'll eat them for about a week or two before turning her nose up at her bowl.

During the day, she stays outside in a covered kennel, with plenty of water and shade. I've tried kenneling her inside but she seems happier outside, and she's proven to be an escape artist and has outright panic attacks with being in an indoor kennel, along with the fact that she's still pretty stubborn about potty training (which turned out to be the reason she was given up to a shelter).

I fill up her food bowl before I leave for work at 7 am, and for most of the week it will remain full when I come home and go to feed her at 5 pm. I bring her inside, fill up her bowl for dinner, and it remains untouched.

Besides her obvious weight issues because of this, she's entirely healthy. I'm sure to keep her on her heatworm/flea medication religiously, I even crush up a vitamin supplement and mix it in with her fresh water daily. She stays hydrated, and overall seems happy and energetic. I just don't really know what to try to get her to eat!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would advise stop making a big deal out of it. By catering to it and being so worried, you've actually brought it on. Stick with one food, and offer it twice a day. If she doesn't eat, pick it up. Don't coerce her to eat or try a million different things, because then she learns if she turns up her nose, she gets something else.

Another thing that can help is making her work for it. Do tricks and basic training, and use kibble as a reward. Wild dogs don't have food there all the time, and it's work to get it. So sometimes making it a challenge makes it seem better and them want it more. My oldest dog barely ate until I got more dogs, and there was competition. Now she eats right away or she knows it'll be gone.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
What extras, if any are you giving her? Some dogs will hold out for treats, and bits of table food, rather then eat their kibble. If that's what your girl is doing then cut those out completely until you have her eating her food.

Measure out her food so you know exactly how much she's eating. People are shocked at just how little my boy eats. He's 10 lbs and gets a little less then 1/2 cup kibble, 1 teaspoon of wet food, and 16 calories worth of treats, per day. If he gets much more then that he gains weight and becomes fat.

If you don't mind doing so there's nothing wrong with rotating the flavor of kibble she gets. I feed my boy Fromm and it's formulated so that owners can rotate flavors without having to transition from one to the other. I switch flavors with every bag, a bag last around a month, and the canned food I mix in with his morning kibble is switched every 4 or 5 days. I figure I like variety and he probably does to.

She may be a social eater, my friend's poodle is, and will eat better if you are in the room with her. If that's the case put the food down in the room your in, and then ignore her and see if she eats.

Other then that tough love, put the food down, give her 20 min to eat, pick up whatever's left, and she gets nothing else until the next meal time, should help. Making her work for her food like ChessaQ suggested, may also help.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I would give honest kitchen a try. It's like home made. My dogs love it. A 10 lb box makes 40 lbs of dog food its dehydrated just add warm water. I would get a few samples to start then get a small box if it works out just to make sure.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Samantha is picky about her food, and has refused food in the past. We switched her to what is essentially home cooked food, all USDA certified for human consumption, with vegetables, fruit, yams, and ground organ meat, added to either beef, lamb, venison, turkey etc. She is quite enthusiastic about eating now, and we change it up every week, between those mentioned above and more. We have been feeding her this since last May, she is literally a different dog, more energetic, more alert, and certainly just feels better. The food is all 'lightly cooked' and comes in sealed frozen packs. She will still sometimes sniff at her bowl, sometimes for a minute or so, but will then dive in until its all gone. Feeding time is no longer a stressful ordeal, Samantha feels better, and I am convinced this food is so much better for her, than any of the processed foods available.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had an issue about picky eating with my lab (surprisingly!!). She was started on Science diet, quickly lost interest, and then the exact same thing happened with Royal Canin, Fromm, and Acana. Absolutely no interest and wouldn't eat for days on end, like yours. I finally tried raw food after some convincing from a friend who had hers on it.. she is so excited to eat now, and eats very regularly twice a day with no issues. Before she would have bouts of diarrhea and sometimes even vomit from the bile in her empty stomach. I can't believe the difference, it's amazing! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Sometimes even a dog that 'appears' healthy but doesn't eat can have digestion problems. If your dog has gone to it's bowl and acted like it wanted to eat, but then stops, it could be because it has learned that eating=tummy ache. Mild IBS ie; heartburn, is often the culprit! If this is the case, have a talk with your Vet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts