Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8 year old minpin who is very active and bouncy stopped doing anything. Just lays around. Eating ok peeing regular no diarrhea no vomiting but we haven't seen him do number 2. Now when I pick him up he growls at me and is snapping at other dogs. Any thoughts ???

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Get him to a vet. A huge behavior change like that may well be something physical, the snapping may be due to pain; at this point you should not attempt to diagnose or delay.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Another big thing that can create these issues is hypothyroidism, there's usually other symptoms, but not always. The aggression seems to happen overnight. I would get a blood panel on the dog.

Is he neutered? If so, do you know when it was done?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes he is. About seven years ago. The growling isn't bad. Just when I try to pick him up and not every time. Like his stomach is tender. I think he may just be sore. I still haven't seen him go number two. He is eating though. He was trying to steal the cats food last night so at least he has an appetite but I'd sure feel better if he went number two. I did feed him some pumpkin as I had read it was a laxative for dogs but he still hasn't went.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
As said, he needs a Vet to check him. Sounds like he may have a blockage, which can become life threatening, so that visit to the Vet should be sooner, rather than later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The doctor believes it's a back injury ????? So she put him on anti inflammatory and a muscle relaxer. We have other dogs so not sure if they ran over him playing or ??? I just hope he feels better soon

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Been there with ours. Fortunately for Samantha and us, she responded well to the medications, steroids, muscle relaxants and pain meds. Hope you have the same luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts