Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read up why my 10 year old Pomeranian may have bad breath.
He is in no pain, 100% himself. He is losing teeth. Happy. Full of Pomeranian energy. Normal quality of life.

If i brought him to a vet right now, i may have to put to sleep because i would not be able to afford much anything else, medical wise---cant imagine what dental costs would be.

Until i can come up with money for proper medical care for him, what can i do about his bad breath?
I have read about sprays, water additives, brushing. etc.
As i have read about these remedies, i also read every one seems to have drawbacks. Sprays, water additives may have chemicals that could harm my dog.
Is there a spray or water addictive that is not going to hurt my dog. Cats have there own water bowls, but may get into the dogs water if i put an addictive in it--so that becomes a concern

Not afraid to tell ya, i am scare as heck from all the dog recalls

·
Registered
362 Posts
If his breath is that bad then he might have an abscess which really can't be delayed. Other health issues could be involved. Really, if problems are treated before they get bad, then you can save a lot of money, a lot of pain for the dog, and prevent health problems that didn't need to happen.

Mouth wash might help you, but it's doing the opposite for him. A very bed smell is a sign of infection or something rotting and it should not be ignored.

·
Registered
745 Posts
You can either google the title or if you click on that link I put there it wil take you to the homepage, press on the 3 lines & dots click on dog health conditions, then scroll to dental disease, click on that & it takes you to an article all about dogs teeth & what you can do. Its very thorough & helpful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Checking around, dental costs for dogs is about $400 at least, skyrocketing quickly by hundreds, into the thousands very easily.
I dont have that kind of money. If i knew it was going to be $300-400 and the health problem solved. I would likely do it. But to get in the office and hear $600-1000-$2000...i cant do it.

He does not appear in pain, yes i know, animals can hide pain.
He has and is enjoying a good quality of life.
I believe i have some time to help him Before the dental issues forces decisions

Think i will bring him in for a basic check to what is going on.
Although, After a trip to the vet for a basic visit, I' m pretty sure i will be back to square one.
Would like to address his bad breath and what else i can do.

By the way, i read every post, every detail in the post.
If i do not reply right away, i am reading the posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
They say that because it costs around a hundred for the aneasthia so they try to get as much done in one go, thats actually to save you $. but you can tell them you want the most critical teeth tended too now & 400s your limit & that you'll get the rest done next year. See if they'l agree to that. They may charge you for a proper asessment & x.ray- even that would be good to get done, so you know exactly what your dealing with. But you will have to pay more if you do it in 2 goes in the long run, because you'll have to pay again for a another aneasthetic. Your pommy could die from it if you wait & do nothing tho. ? Brushing them will help with the smell & so will better smelling food- I would be giving soft food & pouring broth on the dog biscuits if the teeth are falling out. There are peppermint dog chews that help remove plaque at the supermarket but get the softer ones. I know how much sore teeth can hurt, thats why I'm also leaning on the side of vet care over masking the smell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I totally get where your coming from.
I agree that it maybe best to still just have a vet check, even if you can't afford to pull or extract right now.
Dental issues, however, tend to be associated with other medical issues so just keep that in mind.
Some vets may do payment plans; over the summer last year, I had to fork out a hefty bill of $2,800 for unexpected surgery and (thankfully) the vet let us do a monthly payment plan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts