Dog Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Oh yeah, my girl is total Velcro dog. She's a mix of some herding breeds and that can be very typical.
I will say a few times a day "omg this dog is so up my butt!!" :p really, any one foot forward and she's "omg you moved I have to move with you too"

The good thing is she's not unhealthy about it. She's not dependant on me, doesn't have any separation anxiety issues and I don't want it to turn into that so I am pretty proactive about it. Certain rooms I don't let her follow me into. Gives me a break, and reinforces "oh hey, I don't have to constantly follow her" and the rare times I get up from the couch to get something in the kitchen and she actually stays where she was ill give her a treat when I get back to her

·
Registered
500 Posts
Alva would be always in the same room with me if the decision was hers to make. Unfortunately this society does not like her to enter certain places so she must be left behind sometimes. When I go to toilet she is either at my feet or lying behind the door. At my parents' place she is somewhere near me except if there are some very delicious sounds in the kitchen or at the front door. If I sit on the floor watching TV she lies next to me. Outdoors she usually keeps in my sight but that is not an exact rule. She does not stick to my foot though. She trusts me so if I sit down she might wander quite far believing I'll wait her where she last saw me. If we walk, she is usually in 10-20 m range from me.

Now she is on the couch 2 m from me.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Sawyer is relatively Velcro, not enough to create separation anxiety. But 90% of the time he is with me the other 10% with my parents. Even if he's laying down and comfortable he will get up and follow me. He even follows me to the bathroom. He also sleeps on my bed with me and if he's not to tired he hopes of the bed and follows me if I need to get up or going in and out while getting ready for bed.
When he's off leash outside (which weve been doing lately since he's been good about staying near fingers crossed) if I start to walk away from him he comes charging after me.
He tends to be more "velcrowy" in the mornings when I get up and when I come home probably because he hasn't seen me in a while and wants all the attention.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I notice in a lot of the comments it is mentioned the dogs are Velcro but not needy. I think there is a big difference between a needy dog who is afraid to be alone and a secure dog who just chooses to be a shadow.

Mine will wander off alone and 90% of the time it is because they are in something they shouldn't be. Sherlock has a dirty laundry addiction and has to go check and see if I leave the laundry door open a few times a day. Shasta will leave the room if she has "borrowed" something off the kitchen counter and wants to enjoy it in private.

Sometimes it is a pain but most of the time it is nice knowing they want whatever vibe I am putting off.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Eva is my Velcro dog. It feels weird when she isn't close to me, honestly. My other dogs are content knowing I'm nearby, but Eva is the one leaning against me most days.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I like the term "velcro-inclined." My boy is more likely to want to hang out where I am or to be with people of whom he's especially fond than alone, but he has no issues with separation anxiety. Although he's lying beside me on the couch as I type this, if it were evening and I was staying up later than he wished to, he'd have no problem getting up and going into the bedroom and going to sleep in there. He's also wiling, no questions asked, to move over when I do go to bed and then curl up next to me. Come to think of it, though, last night I happened to fall asleep on the couch and at about one a.m., Tully wandered into the living room and whined softly in front of the couch. When I woke up and looked at him, he made eye contact, and then started back to the bedroom, looking over his shoulder to make sure I was following him. Apparently he felt it was time I went to bed too.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have a standard poodle and she's not Velcro. When I bring her up on the couch/bed to cuddle or sleep with me she will cuddle with me until I want to stop. But if she's down on the ground she will most likely be in another room because she thinks my room is too hot and she wants more space to play with her toys. She's the perfect mix of independence and wanting to be close to me.

·
Registered
438 Posts
My mini poo would follow me from room to room always wanting to see me and bring his toys into whatever room I was in. He wouldn't freak out if I left either. I considered him Velcro but not needy.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would call my boxer mix more of a snuggler than a velcro dog. She just wants to be on my lap all of the time, but she's not particularly choosy. If there's another available lap, she'll take that one, too, but not everyone likes a 60lb dog on their laps! She does follow me around the house as soon as I get up, and she sleeps on the bed, snuggled up against me. I guess she could be called a velcro dog. But she doesn't seem needy - I think it's because I carried her around like a baby until she was about 30 pounds, and she just got used to being near me all of the time! My fault, good thing I like it!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts