1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
My boys are both velcro inclined. I think it's all of the above with what you mentioned. Some breeds are more independent than others, and the more independent ones won't feel the need to stick to you like glue. In my experience males are more likely to be velcro inclined than females, though that's subject to a lot of other factors. Obviously, the way the dog is raised will have a direct input into the situation.

·
Registered
715 Posts
@2spoos, I've bern wondering the same thing. I have five BC's, they all like to be near me to some degree or another, but youngest girl Meg. Wow talk about velcro! She kicks up one hell of a fuss if I dare leave the house/ yard without her. And that despite the fact that she's surrounded by four other dogs and if in the house my mother will also be there. Just not good enough! She will literally throw a tantrum and yelp and bark untill I come back.
I don't know if it's the fact that I raised her from birth(I bred her, own both her mom and dad) or if it's just her nature. Mind you now I think of it her dad was a bit like that when he was ypung. He kind of outgrew it, so I tend to forget. But he's the reason there's double the normal height stock proof on the dog run. He used to clamber over the proof to get out of the yard and go join me at the stables.
Maybe it's in the genes.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Toby is, especially in the evening. He will 'velcro' to whoever is around the house for most of the day (this changes from year to year as people get/lose jobs, start/finish school, etc.).

It will start with him hanging out with us where convenient (we're at the computer for a while, or busy with something near a comfy spot of his) and then evolves into an all-the-time thing where if we're doing something near no convenient napping spots he will just hang around awkwardly until we finish. And if we are doing something that involves bouncing all around the house, he just tries to keep up, only just getting settled down in one room before we have concluded our business there and are headed somewhere else. Then we get the "What the hell, can you just pick some place and stay there for once?!"

·
Registered
677 Posts
My old boy grommit will follow me everywhere, even to the loo if i let him, although he looks crest fallen when i tell him to stay he dosent suffer when im out of sight..my pup on the other hand was very independent as a very young pup,my puppy trainer said let her off her lead, they stick to you like glue at this age..not Willow, as soon as she was free she was like a rocket and gone!!. she is getting less independent as she gets older, and will now try and follow me everywhere too, her attachment to me is now very strong . Hopefully this will work in my favour as we have been doing recall training on a long lead and im gonna pluck up the courage to be off lead soon

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
No. She follows us when she wants to play/get affection/give affection but she`s not the type to follow you from room to room and sit behind the bathroom door.

We were visiting family this weekend and as usual, she stationed herself on the stairs - right between the lower and upper floor so she could have a god overview of everything that was going on. I was upstairs behind my computer and everyone else was downstairs.

If we are someplace with lots of people/a party or gathering, she`ll make sure where I am and then go and mingle with everyone and check in on me every now and then.

I love it!

·
Registered
360 Posts
My dog is. She is rarely left alone. If she's shut in a room on her own, the whimpering starts.

I found it most noticeable on walks. She follows along behind. She's blind now, so in theory that would make her less inclined to go further away, but she was the same when she could see.

I have a lot of photographs where she's staring directly upwards into the camera, because she's always right by me when I take her picture.

She has a difficult background; she's a rescue, got passed through many owners in past, good and bad, and has been a stray. She has a very nervous temperament. When we got her, it took her a long time to build confidence and become playful, but she was a velcro dog right from the moment we got her.

·
Registered
531 Posts
My 2 boys are velcro indeed!
I had heard that Rottweilers tended to be like that but wow, I had no idea! lol

It's not done from insecurity or anything like that but whenever there is a "down moment", you will find a Rottie trying to crawl in our laps and/or a Rottie lid down on our toes. Personally, I love it!! I am constantly reaching a soft ear to rub or big jowls to "grab"! They are just so darn cute!!! :p

·
Registered
260 Posts
Rocky is a Velcro dog and follows me from one room to the other. He was pretty much that way from the time I got him. I take him everywhere with me and I think that plays a part in it. He is a GSD/hound mix and I don't know if that plays a part or not.

Jules on the other hand has always been miss independent. The only place she will follow anyone is into the kitchen! Lol she is a lab/pyranese mix and I have been told that the pyranese tend to be independent.

Sophie is defiantly a Velcro do with my mom. She would follow her to work if you gave her the chance! She was a shelter dog who was beaten and dumbed. Very timid and shy for the first year but we saw her personality come out and by then she had bonded to my mom. She is now my moms shadow! Lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
My Springer is a velcro dog, but of course I knew that when I got my original two. No leaving a room without her padding along behind. I'm only alone in the bathroom if I shut the door, as I used to let her come with me when she was small and got into trouble. She can be in a dead sleep but when I move, she moves! Just part of the sporting breed. It is sometimes annoying, but usually not so much.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
My Roscoe and Sheba were always flanking one side or another. I'd sit on the couch, one was on each side. My boy Harley always had an eye on me, where Mom went, he went. Now Sam, he's an independent boy to a point. But I would rather have a velcro dog. BTW, my dogs were and are GSDs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol. Like I pointed out in my blog, the loo is a Velcro point. I have to either go with both staring at me like in the picture or close the dog and see bits of paw and nose appear under the door. I wonder if the are worried we are going to be flushed down, or just upset we are peeing in their water bowl.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Here's an example of the photos I mentioned in my post earlier in this thread, where I'd take a camera on walks and end up with pictures of her looking up at me because she'd be right at my feet.

I draw the line with going to the loo though. I have an ileostomy and use catheters, so I need some space without Anna interfering when I'm trying to keep everything as hygienic as possible.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Athena is a velcro dog! She's 2 and follows me everywhere. Whenever I get up, so does she. The only exception is if Nala is bothering her or if she feels there is not enough room on the couch for her, in which case she goes and lays on her bed. Otherwise life with Athena looks a little something like this:

Going to the bathroom
photo (1).jpg

Watching TV (this one she's attached to Jake)
photo (2).jpg

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
My Stella is a velcro dog and likes to snuggle or else be very close to me. She's part Cattle Dog and I've heard they're like that a lot. I think some breeds rather than genders are more likely to stick to you like that. If they've been traumatized and feel they "need" you I think it can happen then too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Roxy is definitely a velcro dog - so much so that I am constantly tripping over her. Where I go she goes, usually within an inch or two of my left leg and when I visit the bathroom she lies outside the door whining softly. We don't know Roxy's background as she came to us at age 7 from the rescue centre and they couldn't tell us anything about her history.
Oddly enough, she is more inclined to move away from me (but not very far) when we are out walking - indoors she sticks to me like glue (and I love her!!!)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's an example of the photos I mentioned in my post earlier in this thread, where I'd take a camera on walks and end up with pictures of her looking up at me because she'd be right at my feet.
Lol - yes. You know you have a Velcro dog when you have a lot of nose close up pictures.

Athena is a velcro dog! She's 2 and follows me everywhere. Whenever I get up, so does she. The only exception is if Nala is bothering her or if she feels there is not enough room on the couch for her, in which case she goes and lays on her bed. Otherwise life with Athena looks a little something like this:
And yes, You know you have a Velcro dog when you feel hot dog breath on you a lot.

Roxy is definitely a velcro dog - so much so that I am constantly tripping over her.
And for sure - you know you have a velcro dog when you have bruises and broken bones from tripping over them.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
My dogs don't make a fuss when I leave the house, but HaHa...

I call him my "65 pound yellow hairy knee tumor". I swear the dog is glued to my leg as I 'try' to move around the house.

He feels like he has to be within a (real-as-in-literal) foot of me at all time - his foot not mine, because, ya know...his foot is smaller and thus gets him closer to me...lol. :p

Stormy

·
Registered
531 Posts
Mine doesn't like to be forcibly cut off from me - having a closed door between us results in plenty of "catahollering" (as it's known in this household). But as long as he has an open path to check in on me he doesn't feel the need to be in the same room, let alone by my side, unless he wants to go to sleep. He does prefer to sleep close. So I wouldn't call him velcro.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My girl sorta is. She doesn't follow every step all day, but she's often right there behind me. And as the evening wears on, she definitely shadows me more: in the bathroom while I'm showering, in the family room when I work out. She doesn't like to eat unless I'm in the room with her and she sleeps right next to me.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts