Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Where do you draw the line between the two? My 5 month old will follow me EVERYWHERE in the house. When I go to another room and shut the door, he'll wait outside until I come out. There's no barking, chewing or accidents in the house when I'm out but sometimes I'm scared his velcro dog tendencies are early stages of sa. Or is following me around just a puppy thing he'll grow out of?
I also read somewhere that velcro dogs are usually have more nervous personalities - what are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Is your puppy an Aussie?

This behavior is extremely common in Aussies and it sounds like yours is simply a Velcro dog. Cosmo does the same, and he displays no sign of SA. He will get up when I do, follow me room to room, stand at the door and wait for me (he usually sleeps outside of the bathroom door when I shower) and becomes very excited when I leave the house and come back in for even a few seconds. He will wiggle and lean on me. However when I leave for long periods of time like work, he simply sleeps and waits for my return.

SA is when I dog displays extreme stressed behaviors in their owners absence like destruction, accidents, crying for long periods of time, and panicked behavior.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Also want to add - for my Aussie this was not a puppy thing and he has not grown out of it being almost a year old. He's always done it and probably always will. I don't mind :)

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Levi is a Velcro dog. If I go to the washroom, he waits outside the door. If I go downstairs, he comes with me. He has done this since he was like 10 weeks old, he's over a year old and still does it.

He sleeps when we are gone, or chews toys etc. He displays no SA. He is also a bold, confident, happy-go-lucky dog. :)

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think if it's separation anxiety, they get really wound up and anxious and normally loud. My velcro dog does have some separation anxiety, but only if I'm gone for long periods of time. Around the house she just follows my every move, and if I shut a door she's right there waiting for me to open it. But she's not stressed or loud, just likes to be right with me ALL the time.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I think most dogs like to follow their owners around the house. All of my dogs of various breeds definitely have. :) My dogs follow me from room to room and want to be on top of me at all times.

SA is a panic attack essentially. You will know if your dog has SA, trust me. It's far beyond normal barking when you leave. A dog with SA will go into a panic attack when you leave. Some dogs will even injure themselves trying to escape. Summer would start shaking and screaming and would defecate all over the house for example.

Mia on the other hand is destructive if left loose but it's not SA. She's not anxious or having a panic attack at all. She just... gets into trouble because she can.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cos, he most certainly is an Aussie. Another perk to the breed I guess :p
Thanks for clearing things up for me guys! Also best of luck Laurelin to Summer :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you tried leaving him home for short periods of time? I would use a puppy cam to see how he behaves when you're not around, and if he exhibits the typical separation anxiety behaviors I would control how "velcro"-ey he is when you are around the house. For example, the place command is a great tool to use to get him used to not following you around all the time -- there's some great videos on this command on Youtube (especially recommend the one by Solid K9 Training).

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Our almost seven year old poodle/bishon mix will follow me from room to room, then the next day be very independent, and may go downstairs to one of her beds to be completely alone, then back to the Velcro behavior. Though she hates being left alone, she will eat and drink in our absence, so I'm not seeing anything severe in separation anxiety, just a dislike for seeing us leave. Every dog has its own personality characteristics. Living with a dog requires some flexibility on both sides, they all have their own unique idiosyncrasies.

·
Banned
295 Posts
My Aussie is "velcro-ish" too, but he shows absolutely no signs of separation anxiety. My mix-breed 1 1/2 year old dog isn't as attentive and in need of affection as my Aussie, but he seems to have either SA or just enjoys destroying things in my absence (couch cushions, mattresses, blankets, pillows, door frames, THE WALL). The Aussie would never dream of such things. He's a saint in the house. Unfortunately for him, his job is hanging out in the tack room of my horse barn when I'm gone, babysitting his little brother who cannot be trusted in the house. He (the Aussie) is so good about it though. I have to leash up the younger dog in the morning to take out to the tack room, and my Aussie just goes out with us, on his own, and is in the tack room lying on his bed by the time we get there, wiggling at me like, "Aren't I the best dog in the world, Mom?"
He is SUCH a great dog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts