Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies ahead of time as I'm sure this topic is covered, I just don't have the patience to read through 1000+ posts! I have a 45 pound German Shorthair fixed female. She is about 7-8 years old (she was a rescue, so age is a guess). Overall, she is one of the best dogs I've ever had - she is incredibly sweet, had never shown an aggressive bone (except once when she was protecting some toys from my son's dogs, but it was really cute), and she is a fantastic outdoor adventure dog that always stays close and comes when called. She does not exhibit any of the typical behaviors I've read about associated to separation anxiety as she is frequently left alone at home during the work day and has never chewed, become visibly distressed (whining, barking) or done her business in the house (except for a couple of times when she has been a bit sick). The only really negative quality, and it's becoming worse and almost intolerable, is the Velcro effect. This is mostly directed at me, but she will direct it at other family members if I'm not around. She will constantly be by me and underfoot when I walk. When I do tell her to go lay down on her bed, she will for about 5 seconds and come right back. That, or she will lay there and whine with a high pitched whine that is like fingernails on a chalkboard. The problem seems to be getting worse. We walk her nearly every day for a couple of miles where she is able to run free in the forest behind our place. This has no affect. I haven't resorted to an anxiety jacket yet. I did just get some OTC calming tablets and a collar from 800-petmeds which we tried for the first time last night. The jury is still out on those measures.

I am open to any and all advise. I've wondered if crating her would help, but given she never has been and usually sleeps in her dog bed next to me or in my kid's bed, I can't see how that would even work.

Thank you!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have a velcro dog and a semi velcro dog, but I don't mind it. Yeah, sometimes it's a PITA, but all in all it's not a problem for me. Since she has a bed you could train her to go and stay there until you tell her to leave. You can also crate her or set up a baby gate. Maybe give her a chew to work on or a stuffed kong.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I am verrrrry familiar with that nails on a chalkboard whine, while making eye contact and looking oh so pitiful haha I have a velcro GSP as well, she was worse when she was younger though and it has gotten better with age.

If this all of a sudden got worse and you have had your dog for a while and nothing has changed, like a move, working longer, new dog, new person living with you or anything to cause some new stress I would go to the vet. She could be feeling pain and just wanting to be with you for comfort especially since according to most vets she would be considered a senior now. Since you said she does not have separation anxiety when you're gone I find that interesting since she obviously does not have a problem being away from you.

My dog was exactly the way you described when she was young, but she hated being alone and would cry like a baby even going outside by herself. I know when my dogs are not feeling well they stick to me like glue. Even my in-laws dog will run straight towards me, jump in my lap, and get sick right there because he wants to be near me when he is feeling crummy.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have a velcro dog, and i trained her to go lay down in her bed when I say and not get up until I let her. I get annoyed when she follows me every time I get up, to use the bathroom or get a drink or get something from the other side of my room, so now she knows not to follow unless I ask her to. She's not much of a whiner, but personally I would completely ignore that. I love my dogs, but I don't like them being underfoot all the time. That's also why they stay outside most of the day if it's nice out. She doesn't like being away from me, but she's gotten used to it over time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts