Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 year old cocker spaniel and he is always hungry! He seeks out "food" wherever he can find it from nasty green apples that fell of the tree in our backyard, to toilet paper, amongst other things. He gets the recommended amount of a senior dog food that works well for him, as he has become prone to food intolerance, but I hesitate to add treats or biscuits back into his diet because the food I switched him from had so many ingredients I never did know what specific food was causing his problems.

I am considering adding some veggies or fruits or both to his diet as a snack, that will not add too many calories to his diet but may help him feel full and maybe avoid those things that make him sick or make me worry. Anyone had any experience with this? Will more food help, or am I wasting my time? Any recommendations for a good veggie snack that would be safe for a dog to eat every day?

Please note: This is not a health problem, he's always been like this. But the older he gets the more I worry.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I've heard of many people who add green beans to their dogs food to make them "think" they're getting more food, with success. If i'm chopping up carrots or cucumbers my dogs get some too. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
try a goggle search, while back I was reading on this, there's only a couple that you shouldn't give; onion family +?. I don't remember right now. you'll get your answer if you look.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Adding things like grated carrots ,squash green beans , are great low fat items to add to a meal. If you want him to be able to digest them grate or chop small and steam them. Raw will come out the way it went in.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Most vegetables are great for dogs. =) Try things like beans, carrots and sweet potatoes. My parents' dog (a 10-yo Cocker too) gets canned green beans w her food as she only gets a little bit and is always ravenous, and when my dog is over at their house she gets a few too. They both really like them, and my girl is picky. I think raw beans as opposed to canned would be better for treats though.
I know onions and related are toxic, look up a list of all toxic vegetables just to confirm what you can and can't feed.
If he still seems hungry even w his veggie snacks you can always try soaking his food in water overnight, it will double in volume and make him think he's getting more.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the great ideas. Don't worry, I know all the bad foods for dogs. Like I said he eats EVERYTHING. Many late night google sessions after he got into the trash:). But some things I thought were healthy like broccoli are only safe in small amounts. Green beans seem great though, and I love the idea of wetting his food. I did it this morning and it was like double the food, I'm amazed he ate it all. I never would have thought of that so thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts