Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read in a vet magazine that veggies can be used as healthy treats. It mentioned carrots, peas, green beans, celery, potatoes, and sweet potatoes.

Do these veggies have to be cooked? If yes, I'm assuming they should be cooled in the fridge to keep them from being mushy? I want to be able to give small pieces to my dog.

What other vegetables can you recommend? broccoli? corn?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
As far as I know, you don't need to cook them (unless you wanted to stuff it in a Kong or something). I've heard celery isn't good for them because of the strings, but everything else should be fine. I'd feed sweet potatoes over white, only because the nutritional content is supposedly better.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Not corn. Many dogs have a corn allergy, and it is high in starch (and a main ingredient in low quality foods).

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I read in a vet magazine that veggies can be used as healthy treats. It mentioned carrots, peas, green beans, celery, potatoes, and sweet potatoes.

Do these veggies have to be cooked? If yes, I'm assuming they should be cooled in the fridge to keep them from being mushy? I want to be able to give small pieces to my dog.

Thanks in advance.
I do give large horse carrots for chewing but if you do not at least steam the veggies they come out looking like they went in. They don't seem to be able to digest veggies unless they are cooked. In the wild the vegetable matter they eat has already been chewed and digested by the small animals they eat. I would not feed corn because there is little nutritional value, mine also love fruit such as apples bananas and watermelon make good treats

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thanks in advance.

Mine loves broccoli, broccoli stalks and zuccini squash also :) I've always fed raw but I read recently that cooked is better for them.

If you feed apples, be sure NOT to include the seeds, which are poison to dogs.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Mine loves broccoli, broccoli stalks and zuccini squash also :) I've always fed raw but I read recently that cooked is better for them.

If you feed apples, be sure NOT to include the seeds, which are poison to dogs.
Source? The professor at the provincial university suggests raw since that keeps most of the vitamins intact.

Also, no rhubarb, no beet tops, no onions and no grapes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts