Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be better with this breed? As far as I know, they don't have testicular cancer tendencies. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?
What do you think about vasectomy in general?

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Vastectomy will do nothing but remove the ability to father puppies.

Castration will also change the horomonal balance and lessen the likelyhood of non-cancerous prostate problems.

Castration will NOT NESSECARILY stop a dog from marking, humping, atempting to mount an in heat female and even successfully tying, nor will it stop him from wandering.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
One of the major reasons for castration is to reduce the testosterone levels in the dog that lead to some problematic behaviors, such as pursuing females in heat and fighting with other males.

The other reason of course is to prevent pregnancy.

As far as a vasectomy, of course its going to be no help with the first reason, and I would not trust it with the second reason either. My understanding with human vasectomy is that the male does not "shoot blanks" for quite some time, weeks or months even.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A few months of taking care of my dog so he's not near females in heat isn't so bad honestly.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I do not understand why you would do a vasectomy instead of castration. If it is a case of wanting them to still look masculine, they do make neuticles. I know some who had them implanted on a male Giant Schnauzer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do they really make plastic nuts for dogs?? Oh wow.
It's not about aesthetics for me. You can do some research on the health benefits of not castrating your dog. I think different methods are better for different breeds. You shouldn't reject an option before being fully informed about it, which I am trying to be.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
A few months of taking care of my dog so he's not near females in heat isn't so bad honestly.
Well, if you do have females in heat in your area, he will mate with them, and even if he cannot make them pregnant, there are issues with this.

- he will cross roads to get there so will be in danger of being hit by cars.
- he will be totally nuts and obsessed with females and unable to listen to you at all when you call.
- he can contract and pass on sexually transmitted diseases such as Brucellosis
- the owners of the female dogs may not want your dog around humping their dogs
- the female dogs may not want your male humping them
- other male dogs will be competing for the females too, and there will be fights.

Removing the hormones removes the sex drive, so the dog is not actually missing anything, in terms of he is not feeling deprived.

·
Registered
824 Posts
You have a Jindo. A very independent breed with intelligence and drive to match.

If your Jindo wishes to find the nearest bitch in heat, he will. Obviously, I cannot speak for your dog specifically, but for the breed standard, I can. I own a "relative" so to speak. Highly driven dogs.

What is the age of this dog? I might have more to say once I know the age. Testicular cancer is actually a very small percentage.

It also comes down to your level of willingness to ensure this dog cannot impregnate and to never underestimate the ability of a dog nuts on hormones to get that job done if it wants to badly enough.

Do you have any other dogs in the home?

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Well, if you do have females in heat in your area, he will mate with them, and even if he cannot make them pregnant, there are issues with this.

- he will cross roads to get there so will be in danger of being hit by cars.
- he will be totally nuts and obsessed with females and unable to listen to you at all when you call.
- he can contract and pass on sexually transmitted diseases such as Brucellosis
- the owners of the female dogs may not want your dog around humping their dogs
- the female dogs may not want your male humping them
- other male dogs will be competing for the females too, and there will be fights.

Removing the hormones removes the sex drive, so the dog is not actually missing anything, in terms of he is not feeling deprived.
Contrary to "popular knowledge" castration does not nessecarily stop any or all of that. It depends greatly on the individual dog.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You have a Jindo. A very independent breed with intelligence and drive to match.

If your Jindo wishes to find the nearest bitch in heat, he will. Obviously, I cannot speak for your dog specifically, but for the breed standard, I can. I own a "relative" so to speak. Highly driven dogs.

What is the age of this dog? I might have more to say once I know the age. Testicular cancer is actually a very small percentage.

It also comes down to your level of willingness to ensure this dog cannot impregnate and to never underestimate the ability of a dog nuts on hormones to get that job done if it wants to badly enough.

Do you have any other dogs in the home?
I don't have the dog yet, he will be born in about a week, and I have to wait 2 or 3 months to get him.
He will live alone with me, but he will interact often with my mom's dogs (two males about a year old, both neutered), and my sister's 2 year old female (fixed too).
I wouldn't have any problems keeping the dog from mounting a female in heat for the time he can still impregnate them.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
If you don't intend on becoming a breeder, why not get him neutered and have 100% assurance you will not be contributing to the pet overpopulation?

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Could you wait till about 12-18 months?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you don't intend on becoming a breeder, why not get him neutered and have 100% assurance you will not be contributing to the pet overpopulation?
Well, because I'm pretty sure that after some months he won't be able to impregnate anyone, considering the surgery is done correctly of course.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
For larger breeds, there can be an increased risk of certain cancers and spaying young (3 months and under) increases the risk of incontinence.

Personally, I'd have him snip him at 10-12 months.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How about a vasectomy as soon as I get him home, and I decide if I should completely remove them later?

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
He'll be a baby, yes? Maybe at 6mo old, then neuter if you decide to. :)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts