Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 .5 year old 85 lbs siberian husky
He has alway had week hips but with in the last week or so I noticed him having a hard time with his front right leg. I brought him into the vet last week and she had given him some pain meds and he seemed to be ok (she said we knew he had a history of arthritis etc …..in a matter of a week it went for bad to worse so quickly. I brought him again this Thursday and they suggested x rays and a blood test for valley fever, which is out here in the southwest, a fungal infection. So We did both.. and the X-rays showed in his front left that there were lesions that could be from valley fever or they could be osteosarcoma but we wouldn't know for sure till the blood work comes back (blood was taken friday afternoon, i am impatiently waiting)
We also sent the x rays off to a specialist who thinks the same as our vet but really could be valley fever
He is a pretty active dog, goes for walks comes to work with me ( I am a horse trainer so he comes to the farm with me everyday, and is free to do what he pleases) So he was walking OK Thursday and as of yesterday and today he is 3 legged and can barley get up. My husband has to carry him down the stairs to go out …
I don't know what to do in the meantime waiting for blood results .
I also don't understand why he is limping on the right leg when its the left leg that has the bone lesions.
I am praying it is valley fever so there is a chance to treat it
Anyone have dogs who had valley fever in the joints ?
Sorry so long, I just have been a mess this past weekend
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,437 Posts
I'm sorry you've gotten no input from anyone regarding the valley fever. I've got no experience with that but wanted to give you some support. How long until the blood test results get back?

Waiting is hell when it comes to stuff like this. I hope you get some answers soon as far as a diagnosis.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you for responding
I got the blood results today …they were positive for valley fever but they are still working on the titer test to see how badly it is
Our vet said that if it comes back very low it probably means he was just exposed to it and it would be cancer…
He seems to be doing a bit better this afternoon…got him up to go outside and he stayed up for a bit eating and drinking and instead of falling down on his bed to lay down he actually circled like he usually does and layed down
We also started him on the valley fever meds (fluconazole) yesterday morning since vet said it couldn't hurt so I am still praying for a miracle
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,437 Posts
I'm glad he's feeling a bit better. I hope the titer results come back high and you don't have the cancer threat hanging over your head. I'll keep him in my thoughts and you too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Titer came back high so we increased the meds accordingly ….. I just hope he can fight this off
Thanks for your thoughts ! Really Appreciate it !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Thinking of you and sending healing thoughts and hugs to you....
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top