Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mimi is due to have her second heartworm vaccination next week - nine months after she had the first one. I read that vaccinations for dogs should only be given every two or three years. What should I do? To vaccinate or not to? :ponder:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Most heart worm vaccines are given around every 6 months such as ProHeart6 Rabies is the only vaccine I know of that actually protects for up to 3 years however it is also recommended on a yearly basis to ensure protection in high risk areas.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mimi has just had her heartworm vaccine. The next one is due at the same time next year. I discontinued giving it to her by mouth (every three months) early on as it was a pain trying to remember a) when it was time to give it to her b) to buy the tablets. With the injection, the Vet sends a reminder and keeps a record of what she has been given and when. I now understand the importance of it being given to dogs.
On the other hand, I want to know what others are doing re. immunization. Do you do it yearly? Here in Australia we don't have Rabies but for other diseases, Veterinarians recommend that you immunize your pets each year. I heard that this could be too much and is not necessary or is it? What do you all think about this?

·
Registered
103 Posts
my personal opinion is it depends on how often your dog comes in contact with other dogs, for example our chihuahua rarely leaves the house so I don't get her vaccinated every year it would be pointless to me. There are a lot of canine diseases that predominately affect younger dogs and puppies, you will seldom see a 5 yr old with parvo unless they have a compromised immune system anyway. My own outside dogs get regular boosters each year until they are 3. I am sure there are a lot that would think that was horrible but if they are healthy otherwise it's not that big of a risk. Heartworms and worms in general are different that is something that has to prevented/controlled.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree re. older dogs. Pepsi, my Jack Russell, is nearly 17 and has not had a booster since being 12. I too don't see the point. She is extremely healthy and quite fit despite carrying a little extra weight.
Mimi is in contact with other dogs almost daily and usually the same ones at the doggy park. They are all healthy and vaccinated yearly. They are also all quite young none older than 5 years old. Pepsi being the exception. Because she is so grumpy in her old age, everyone leaves her to her own devices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts