Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Definitely needed or no?

(hi y'all btw, new here)

So... We live on a farm, have all outside dogs and we've never vaccinated. They stay on the farm/neighbouring land - we don't ever take them out - and we've never had any problems. We had a litter of puppies lately and I/we are keeping one of em. I'm planning on taking her to dog parks and the like eventually - going out in public and possibly meeting doggie friends. My question is, do I need to have her vaccinated? She's already around four months old so kinda old for puppy shots. I don't want to put her in danger, and definitely don't want to be a danger to unsuspecting dogs and owners out there, but I guess I'm just not sure how important it is? And can you give me an idea of how much the full rounds (slash whatever I need) will cost?

TIA

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Please get her vaccinated for all core vaccines that a good vet recommends, rabies, distemper, parvovirus. Or don't subject her to other dogs and especially other puppies with lower immunity.

In my area in the city in Massachusetts dogs get leptospirosis from drinking muddy puddles, worms from everything and my dog got kennel cough just from being stressed and in the shelter. The one time I thought he was vaccinated for Lyme disease and he wasn't he got Lyme disease. Many of my human friends have had many problems with Lyme and other tickborne illnesses and my ancient horse had chronic Lyme for years and is now allergic to everything as a result of a weakened and hypersensitive immune system.
You may not have to vaccinate every three years for indoor pets but dogs living outside exposed to wild animals should be protected. And if you choose not to vaccinate, please don't expose them to dog parks and other dogs and especially puppies and risk getting them sick.

I have two indoor only cats that have never been anywhere but the vet and my apartment who for different reasons vets have advised not to vaccinate as they both have immune system issues. One is currently literally dying of cancer (sudden new development this week after being stable for months) and the other is quite healthy but allergic to literally everything.

I vaccinate my dog who goes everywhere (and is very social) to everything. I board and watch dogs and if the owners don't provide proof of immunizations as I clearly request in advance I separate their dogs. I'm very up front about it.

No your dog can't sleep on my bed and play with and nip my cat if it's not vaccinated for rabies. He will stay separated by a baby gate or in another room and I will take him and my vaccinated dog to the dog park(when it's empty) for two hours a day and several walks a day rather than risking my pets other people's.
Even if people don't do regular vaccines, many do the basic core puppy vaccines to give a core immunity. Very few dogs and even fewer puppies survive parvovirus and rabies is always fatal.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I always keep animals up on rabies. Always. I live in the suburbs. My cat is strictly indoor and my two dogs are always on a leash. I don't really think they'll contract rabies. But they are all up to date on the vaccine.
If there's an emergency, like a natural disaster, and we have to suddenly evacuate, you cannot take pets ANYWHERE without proof of rabies. I never want to be in that kind of situation. Additionally, if something happens, and they bite a person or another dog, not being able to provide proof of a rabies shot makes an already bad situation so much worse.
You risk your puppies dying without their core vaccines. All of your animals should have an up to date rabies shot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Shadowmom - that cleared up a lot of things, thanks for your reply.
Very sorry about your cat
@BriscoDog24 - good point re: situations you can get into without rabies vacs.
Thanks.

So... definitely needed. Now to convince my parents lol. Do I have this right to be expecting the core vacs to cost around a hundred bucks?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
@Shadowmom - that cleared up a lot of things, thanks for your reply.
Very sorry about your cat

@BriscoDog24 - good point re: situations you can get into without rabies vacs.
Thanks.

So... definitely needed. Now to convince my parents lol. Do I have this right to be expecting the core vacs to cost around a hundred bucks?
Depends on the vet, I'd give them a call. You could try the shelter too, they often run low cost clinics if you are low income.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Depends on where you go for the vet care and shots. We have local pet clinics here in our town that are very good...and super affordable. They have nothing to do with your income level, anyone can go. Sometimes you do have to wait a bit in line to be seen, but if you have the time it is worth it. They are not full service vet care, but are great for vaccinations, getting meds, and spay/neuter etc. I take my dogs there for many things, like vaccinations and heartworm meds, etc.
Maybe you can check online or ask around and see if there is a clinic like this near you guys?

And there are also other low cost or free options. I would also suggest calling your local shelter to see what they can tell you.

·
Registered
357 Posts
It is very important to vaccinate your puppy and to keep him up to date.

If you have a Petsmart or Petco in your area you can also check with the rescue groups that go there for adoption days. The rescue group we have here will vaccinate dogs for their cost. You can also get your dog microchipped there. Which is also very important. Make sure to register your information and keep it updated if anything changes.

Until your puppy is fully vaccinated (and the vaccines have time to take effect), don't put him down on the floor, if you're away from home. Or let people pet him. Don't take any chances on him/her getting parvo or anything else they can pick up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts