Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Echo is doing really well this week, lots of free play, mat training and play with us. Our issue is potty training...

Problems:

- she is getting over a semi severe UTI that seems to be resistant to ABs. (Wow I didn't realize how expensive this could be!)
- no fenced yard, outside is overstimulating. Birds, dogs, people, recycling trucks. We can't really control this and she seems pretty stressed about pooing outside. She will frenzy at the lead/me.

Our solution:

- pee pads readily available so she doesn't have to hold it with the UTI.
- saying a cue as she goes and giving a treat if on a pee pad.
- not reacting to accidents.
- relaxation training and play outside to familiarize + desensitize.
- jackpot treats for going outside.
- plan to move pee pads outside and use cues when it's less stressful.

I know this is reinforcing going inside, but it's the best I can come up with.
What do you think? Any better solutions?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just saw this post from a few weeks ago- wow you have been through a LOT with your pup! Thanks for all your advice regarding Jasper so far- you are like an old pro at this point!

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Yeah, some UTI's are pretty difficult. Did they target a specific bacteria or are they treating broad spectrum?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Not sure what kind of relaxation training you're doing, but just in case you haven't run into it yet, one fun (and easy!) game is "Watch the World." Using her meals to play it makes it especially easy, and you don't have to start outside...you can play "watch the world" inside and use outside noises (like garbage trucks, car doors, etc.) as your triggers. Or sit inside near a window, or sit inside with the front door cracked open, whatever makes the most sense to start, so she can participate without being too over-stimulated. You can incorporate the mat into this game too (but if you don't want to, that's fine too!), or maybe you're already playing something really similar with your matwork! The "Look at That!" game is also terrific and matwork-compatible.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you're doing a great job in a tough situation. Puppies are such a hassle at the best of times, and throwing in a persistent UTI is just not fair. But it will eventually get better, and at some future point, you'll probably have forgotten all about how impossible potty training seemed for awhile! Even if that future point might seem pretty far off right now :eek:

I know some people who build potty boxes with a square of sod on top, so that the inside pottying happens on a surface that is more similar to outside, but it's kind of messy. You can google 'potty boxes' or 'sod boxes' to see what you think...even a plastic bin with a layer of sod on top of some puppy pads might help you transition to outside training more easily, but the obvious downside is that the sod box gets really gross really fast.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! She's had it a bit tough. I'm very lucky I'm not working, I'm not sure we would have coped otherwise.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, some UTI's are pretty difficult. Did they target a specific bacteria or are they treating broad spectrum?
It's all sorted now but she was on a broad spectrum until they got the culture back, she had rod and spherical bacteria to start then just staph after the culture came back. We waited on the specific antibiotics because of her age, they were pretty nasty and it seemed like getting the rods taken care of allowed her to sort out the staph or the staph was an artifact(very possible) because two weeks later she was cleared on microscopy and culture from a catheter sample.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure what kind of relaxation training you're doing, but just in case you haven't run into it yet, one fun (and easy!) game is "Watch the World." Using her meals to play it makes it especially easy, and you don't have to start outside...you can play "watch the world" inside and use outside noises (like garbage trucks, car doors, etc.) as your triggers. Or sit inside near a window, or sit inside with the front door cracked open, whatever makes the most sense to start, so she can participate without being too over-stimulated. You can incorporate the mat into this game too (but if you don't want to, that's fine too!), or maybe you're already playing something really similar with your matwork! The "Look at That!" game is also terrific and matwork-compatible.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you're doing a great job in a tough situation. Puppies are such a hassle at the best of times, and throwing in a persistent UTI is just not fair. But it will eventually get better, and at some future point, you'll probably have forgotten all about how impossible potty training seemed for awhile! Even if that future point might seem pretty far off right now :eek:

I know some people who build potty boxes with a square of sod on top, so that the inside pottying happens on a surface that is more similar to outside, but it's kind of messy. You can google 'potty boxes' or 'sod boxes' to see what you think...even a plastic bin with a layer of sod on top of some puppy pads might help you transition to outside training more easily, but the obvious downside is that the sod box gets really gross really fast.
This post is from a while back, so it's pretty good now. UTI all cleared up and about a week ago potty training just seemed to click, all the difficulty seems like a bad dream...

That is a great article, I've been doing really similar things outside, sometimes we'll just go onto the porch and watch the world she seems to really enjoy it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Oh whoops, I should have checked the date! Glad to hear things have already improved so much. Isn't it amazing how the bad stuff fades away once it's past?! Of course, it helps when there's so much good stuff to take its place :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts