Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with a trainer about Tucker's behavior when seeing other dogs on walks. He constantly barks at them, not sure if in fear or if he just wants to play. I know to try to distract him when this happens, but he doesn't seem to care for the treats we try to distract him with. The trainer recommended using cut-up hot dogs to grab his attention, as they seem to give off a stronger smell than your average treat. I didn't think to ask whether they should be raw or cooked. I'm going to try raw, and see how well it works.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Either way works as hot dogs are cooked already. I use to warm mine up but now I just use them right out of the fridge. They tend to be easier to use that way. IDK why. Roxie also seems to really love them like that.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Kuma goes nuts for hot dogs, but he also loves his salmon bites that I use. (In hopes to help with his shedding with the recommended fishoil.) And it has helped a lot by reducing his shedding and with constant brushing too. ^_^

I can smell it more when it's cut up. Idk if that's just me. You can always test it with your nose and your pups' nose. Have one that isn't cut up and one that is cut up and see if you can tell the difference. I know I can.

Reactions: collegekid

·
Registered
914 Posts
If I have time, I'll slice (hot) dogs up first and then nuke them in the micro for 2 minutes, it makes the pieces a bit easier to handle. If I don't have time, uncooked is fine as well.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I've used both ways. Sometimes I cut them (in quarters lengthwise, then cross cut into small pieces), put them on top of some regular food, and nuke them for a minute or two. The hot dog juices seep into the regular food and make it an additional "treat."

·
Registered
257 Posts
I quarter cut them length wise, then chop them up into smaller pieces, then bake mine in the oven first at 350C for 10 mins or so until their crispy. It seems my dog prefers them that way-- my husband thinks it's because Raider thinks he's getting people food. It's possible lol. I prefer them that way too... Less slippery/greasy feeling.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Ohhh, interesting... Why didn't I think about baking the hot dogs? The one thing I hated about hot dogs as treats (especially when training) is that it does gets slimy and slippery and sometimes they get stuck together so he would accedently get two teats for one.

I'm going to try baking my hot dogs. Great idea.

·
Registered
39 Posts
We use hot dogs (straight from fridge) as Coco's "potty" treats. He goes crazy for them! I usually have some cut up in a baggie for easy use.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Hotdogs are my flyball team's go to treat. Usually one of us just grabs a pack on the way to the store and we use them straight out of it and just rip off little pieces. It's easier to hold onto the hotdog that way.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I used to use hotdogs as treats a long time ago.

Once after training session, I went to the dog park. I forgot that I still had the cut up hotdogs in a baggy stuffed into my cargo shorts.

5 seconds after I walked into the gates at the dog park:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Lol @camper... I went to a hunt camp for an annual get together with friends. There were a dozen dogs there. I experienced the exact same thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 11 of 11 Posts