Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 month old puppy is now eating Fromm 4* surf and turf. He is doing well on it.

I still have a 13lb bag of Zignature duck. I was wondering if I can use this as training treats so it doesn't go to waste? Or is that a bad idea?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I'd say it's fine as long as he's willing to work for it.

For general training, I use a different kibble than I normally feed as a reward and it works great. I've found for reactivity work I have to use something much higher in value, though :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I do it with Simba, more when he was younger but still do. It's a low value treat but low value treats serve a purpose.

When simba was younger I'd always go out with kibble and a higher value treat. Recall, playing nicely with new dogs, etc got the good treat. Coming to a stop at every intersection and sitting got a low value treat. Crossing the street on command earned him a "click" when his paws touched the other sidewalk and a treat. Every walk was this x 30 or more. I used his daily kibble ration for that and it worked beautifully.

Low value (and low calorie) treats are great for laying foundations.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
If he's willing to work for it, it's a treat. It's really all up to the dog.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If the dog likes it, anything can be used as a training treat.

We used to feed Fenris his entire meal through a training session.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have never used that dog food before, but if it is hard I would not use it for training. The reason behind it is because a hard piece of treat goes down a lot harder than say a piece of hot dog. That is what I have used when Libby was little for agility training. I cut it usually to smaller pieces, and Libby loved it. It is also a lot cheaper in my opinion that other fancy treats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts