Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I welcomed an absolutely lovely standard Golden Doodle to my home 5 months ago called Luna. She is extremely social and loves to play all day. I thought things would be way easier once she was potty trained, but she is now 7 months and full of beans! I work from home and thought it would be easy to have her at home while I work, as I have quite a few friends who have raised a puppy while they work from home with no issues. Well... I have a job that requires a lot of focus and I find her quite distracting! In a nutshell I ended up putting her in daycare full time which she seems to really love and it gives me the focus I need to work. I just feel horribly guilty and inadequate that I'm using daycare so much when I'm at home!

Has anyone else used dog daycare even though they work from home? Or should I be trying harder to get used to her/train her to settle better while I work? Any thoughts on when she might slow down a bit?

More details about my situation:
I have taken numerous training classes with Luna and we work on our obedience daily. She has lots of toys and enrichment activities. When she's at home with me I take her for multiple ~30 min walks a day, at least one of them offleash to play fetch. I have taught her to "settle" and relax on her mat, which she will for about an hour or two at a time but then she starts getting restless. She's not hyper, just up and about looking for things to do. If I make her stay in my office once she's finished her nap she is just very obviously bored, occasionally whining. I also feel guilty when she's bored that I'm not giving her an interesting enough day. Even if we do a lot of activities in the evenings she's still very energetic the next day. I have more than enough time to spend with her on weekends, but weekdays are the challenge!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
The pertinent thing here is your statement that your dog loves the daycare. If she loves it, and it is not teaching her any bad habits then what is there for you to feel guilty about? You are not neglecting the dog. You do things with her, you play with her and are training her. Putting her in daycare that she enjoys so you can work is far better than some dog owners who shut the dog all alone out in the yard or crate them all day. You are doing OK, don't feel bad.

·
Registered
320 Posts
She might slow down about 2. She might also become less interested in other dogs around and between 1-2. While I don't think you should feel guilty, you could work on teaching her to self-entertain as a life skill over the weekends or evenings. Or switch to half days maybe, depending on how work is going. But that is only of you want to. Remember, prior to 2020, most dogs were alone in the house for +8 hours!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Madra Anamchara and @Shadowfox thank you for the feedback! I guess I've been feeling guilty because I one of the reasons I got her was to keep me company as I work (currently this is from home but in the future I'll have the option to take her into the office) - but I have found her more challenging than I expected during the day and I'm not always enjoying her company :oops:

While I don't think you should feel guilty, you could work on teaching her to self-entertain as a life skill over the weekends or evenings.
Great videos thanks - we have been working on settle which she does well for certain periods of time (depending on her mood). We will keep working on this. She does self-entertain when I put her in the backyard but I find myself checking on her regularly to make sure everything's ok back there!

·
Registered
320 Posts
one of the reasons I got her was to keep me company... but I have found her more challenging than I expected during the day and I'm not always enjoying her company
You are not entirely alone! Like any other relationship, sometimes there are ebbs where we may not be infatuated with the other party but still love them.

And this may not work for you, but sometimes I'll bring the computer and sit outside with mine and do what I need to do while she does what she wants.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts