Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys!

So, I have a specific idea for a collar in mind, when, someday down the road, I get my dog. I'm wondering if anyone has tried using a woodburner on a leather collar to do designs. I know one can buy hand-tooled collars on Etsy, but I want to try something on my own, and I do have a woodburner and know how to use it, whereas tooling leather would be a huge learning project.

Anyway, I've seen videos of folks using burners on other types of leather, but I was curious if anyone had tried decorating leather collars themselves, or if I'm just totally silly thinking this is a possibility and should start thinking about finding someone to tool one for me instead...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Absolutely you can! Years ago a boyfriend of mine used a plain 'ol soldering iron to put a name and phone number into a leather collar for a dog we had, and it worked great! (And it's cheaper than getting an ID tag made that could accidentally fall off somewhere if the dog gets loose.)

I can't imagine a woodburning tool being much different. I think perhaps the soldering iron might be a little hotter in temp as it has to work with melted metals after all... but I'm not sure.

I'd love to see what you work up too! Post us some pics. :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, cool! Yeah, a soldering iron would be pretty much the same concept, just hotter. Good to know that I could use my dad's soldering iron, too, if he'd let me. ;) Awesome! Thank you so much, @mhop!

I will definitely do pictures when I go for it! It'll just be a while yet... have to wait and see what gender future-pup turns out to be! <3

1 - 4 of 4 Posts