Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
General consensus is that dogs should be trained separately but today I had a great result with my male dog. He hates his paws being wiped and runs off before I can get them clean, even if he knows I have treats.

So what I did today is to let him see me rewarding my other dog, a girl, when she was being good about giving her paws. It took a while, but after running away five or six times, and him seeing how she got "his" treats, he grumpily submitted and even gave his paws without me pulling them up.

Success!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wow! That must have been exciting! My mom laughs at me because when I teach Lucy something and she finally gets it, I jump around like a maniac! Lol! COngrats on your accomplishment!

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I think when people say you shouldn't train two dogs at once, they usually mean when both dogs are doing new training or behavior modification and learning it for the first time.

I've used Mia to help train other dogs. There was a puppy I was teaching to sit and she was starting to understand the behavior but didn't have it on cue. I asked Mia to sit and gave her a treat when she did, and asked the puppy next and she picked it up right away after watching Mia.

I also use Mia to get a reliable recall out of other dogs (such as Delilah or a couple dogs I watch from time to time). I'll call them over and Mia will come over and get a treat- the other dog usually follows. Before long they're both racing over to me. It's actually become quite competitive between Mia and Delilah lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.