Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm originally American, living in Europe. For Christmas my parents gave my dog a Himalayan Chew and she LOVED it and it took her a good long time to eat it all down, which I loved because she goes through chews soooo quickly.

Well I was looking around today to get her some more, and the prices are RIDICULOUS here!! What my parents paid $18 for in the US is being sold at €110 here. WHAT!??!! I was prepared for a bit more expensive but that's just insane.

Ok. Rant over.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
What country?

Europe consists of like 50 countries and prices can vary pretty heavily :)

I dont know about dog stuff but I know clothes are much cheaper in US, esp shoes.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm referencing primarily western Europe. The countries I order dog goods from include UK, Germany, NL, Belgium, France, Luxemburg depending on availability & price.

There are lots of goods that are cheaper here then North America...but dog/pet goods seem to be pricier. This is obviously especially true for imported brands (e.g. Orijen/Acana, Ruffwear, etc) -- which also includes Himalayan Dog Chews. I'm fine with higher prices on imports, I understand economics...but a 600% markup? No import tax or transport cost is responsible for all that!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm referencing primarily western Europe. The countries I order dog goods from include UK, Germany, NL, Belgium, France, Luxemburg depending on availability & price.

There are lots of goods that are cheaper here then North America...but dog/pet goods seem to be pricier. This is obviously especially true for imported brands (e.g. Orijen/Acana, Ruffwear, etc) -- which also includes Himalayan Dog Chews. I'm fine with higher prices on imports, I understand economics...but a 600% markup? No import tax or transport cost is responsible for all that!!
The "western countries" in Europe don't have slave salaries for uneducated workers, which is quite common beyond the great sea. Thats one major deal in prices for "industry goods". USA gets their stuff and/or workers from Mexico. We buy the goods from USA.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
This is off-topic but it annoys me when people refer to Europe as one big country. Maybe it`s because you haven`t been here long enough to realize we`re all actually quite different ...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is off-topic but it annoys me when people refer to Europe as one big country. Maybe it`s because you haven`t been here long enough to realize we`re all actually quite different ...
I've been here 6 years and lived in 4 different European countries. Trust me, I've had to deal with enough government admin/cultural differences in each to know that European countries are very distinct from one another.

I'm not sure what is insulting about referencing Europe as a continent that is distinct from US markets? In my post I specifically reference the price of a US imported good. Imported goods from the US are more expensive everywhere in the continent -- that's not exactly a stereotype or broad brush stroke...it's a fact of trade agreements, shipping costs, and import taxes. I'm simply venting that I found a product in the US that I really liked for my dog, but that trying to get it over here I can only find it at a price that seems way above the regular import tax/transportation cost mark-up.

I mean, who can argue against it being ridiculous that a $18 dollar item in the US is being sold at €110 here (yes I understand that that price is from searching in only 6 of the Euro countries and that I didn't price check EVERY country...)

However if you would like to prove me wrong and show me which European country is an exception to this higher price rule, by all means please do as I'd love to order from there. But I really don't see anything wrong with referring to Europe as a whole continent that is separate from the US markets (and therefore is faced with paying import taxes/shipping costs).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not too sure where you're looking, if you buy from UK there's plenty cheaper than that including on amazon £6.99 for a medium one. You can also get a churpi k9 highland dog chew which are similar from their own site, they are £5.99 and are pretty big (140g).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello,

I had the same issue!
I live in Ohio and had gotten our dogs Himalayan chews off Ebay as Christmas presents. They loved them so much, I wanted to send my mom in German one for her Dachshund via amazon.de.
After i saw the price, I decided against it. I could only find them for around 30 EUR, or so.
Too bad..I got the dogs some yak puffs not too long ago. They were add on items on amazon.com and almost 50% off.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Cranberrysmom -- that's great to know! Last time I checked they did have more reasonable prices in the UK but didn't deliver to continental Europe but it appears they now do!! Yay!
@Rain -- this is amazing!! I'm generally useless in the kitchen but perhaps I can give this a go...Thanks!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts