Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently adopted a black lab mix. She was picked up as a stray and the shelter estimated her to be about 9 months of age, which would make her about 10 months old now. She has been fantastic and is the sweetest puppy, but she has this urine leaking problem that we just haven't been able to resolve. I was hoping to see if anyone had any similar issues or have any ideas what could be done.

Some background information....

When we first got her, she was leaking pretty often and it would typically be a few drops, but sometimes it would be a small puddle. Our house is mostly carpets, and the wet spot might get up to the size of a tennis ball or softball. She was diagnosed with a UTI and we've since given her a run of antibiotics. The leaking seems to have gotten better, although it might just be that she's more used to our routine and also that we're managing it better. Basically, it seems like she can go for about 4 hours after we take her out without leaking, but after that she'll start to lick, because some drops of urine are coming out. Sometimes we'll notice the drops on the carpet before she notices that she's leaking. Just yesterday, I left her in the morning for 5 hours and came home to find a wet spot about 4" in diameter :(

She has NOT been spayed yet, because we had been waiting to try and resolve this issue. So as of right now, she's not spayed and does not have a UTI anymore. The vet gave us the option of either doing a "contrast test" which he says will allow us to see if there's an anatomical problem with her bladder that might be correctable or to try to see if drugs would help. Basically, they would inject a dye material and then take xrays of her bladder or something. He ultimately recommended the contrast test, because she's so young still, but the test is $800 and it seems like any surgery to correct a bladder problem would run another $1500 to $2500 or more.

Does anyone have any experience with this in a dog that hasn't been spayed yet? If we try the drugs and she improves, does that help rule out things that might be found on a contrast test?

Thanks! Our doggie appreciates the help as well!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
the shelter did not fix her prior to adopting her out? Thats unusual. Has your vet said spaying her may help? My chihuahua pee's or leaks when she gets excited or intimidated. Is she urinating or leaking during exciting times or when someone new approaches her?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
My first thought was that the dog either has a UTI or a congenital defect... if your positive its not a UTI...and its not excitement or fear urination like Pawz suggested...then your probably looking at surgery..

I have had dogs that have had UTIs and antibiotics DID NOT work...has the vet done a new urinalysis or is the vet just assuming its not a UTI because the round of antibiotics were completed?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
When is she peeing?

If it's when she's sleeping, there are medications that will help.

If it's when she's excited or submissive, the drugs don't work.

In either case, some dogs outgrow it. One of my mini aussies falls into the latter category, and she is a year old. It's only very recently that it's MUCH improved. She will still do the submissive urination (though usually not a whole lot) but the excitement urination seems to have stopped. We have a doggy diaper for her (we use human maxi pads to line it, cheaper than buying the "dog" ones). We don't use it much anymore though, since she has improved :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We're contractually obligated to spay her. The reason she wasn't spayed at the time was because she had a pretty nasty kennel cough and we were waiting for that to subside, but now the urine leaking is causing us to put off the spay. Although, we're very eager to get her spayed, so that we can avoid having her go into heat.

The peeing is typically when she's laying down and pretty relaxed. And like I said, it's usually after it has been about 4-5 hours since she last was taken out.

We did do another urinalysis and culture and I guess it came up clean. I never saw the results of the culture, but the vet called me about a week after it was done to suggest the contrast test. We were quoted $650-800 to do the contrast test and then who knows how much more surgery will cost. If that will fix the problem though, then we'd be happy to do it, but does anyone know if there might be other tests to determine if the issue is congenital? It seems like the potential congenital issues might be that an ectopic ureter, or her bladder size or shape or "stretchiness" might have something wrong. The vet has kind of ruled out ectopic ureter since she doesn't leak constantly, just after a few hours.

Should we just go ahead and get her spayed first? We're pretty anxious about that. The vet has kind of recommended that we figure out the urine issue first, but I'm not really sure that one has much to do with the other.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I come home from work every day at lunch to take her out. Basically, as long as I'm able to come home around 12:30pm, and then take her out again after my wife and I are home from work, then she doesn't leak. But on a couple occasions, I might get stuck at work for another hour before getting home and she leaks. Or sometimes if we haven't taken her out within an hour or so of eating then she'll leak also. It's not always 4-5 hours, but that seems to be her "max".

We are doing our best to keep her from leaking by taking her out as often as she needs, but it would be probably be nicer for us and her if we can help her to stop leaking altogether.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I come home from work every day at lunch to take her out. Basically, as long as I'm able to come home around 12:30pm, and then take her out again after my wife and I are home from work, then she doesn't leak. But on a couple occasions, I might get stuck at work for another hour before getting home and she leaks. Or sometimes if we haven't taken her out within an hour or so of eating then she'll leak also. It's not always 4-5 hours, but that seems to be her "max".

We are doing our best to keep her from leaking by taking her out as often as she needs, but it would be probably be nicer for us and her if we can help her to stop leaking altogether.
I am sorry, I have now become confused, this sounds like she is just urinating because she has to go and is not being taken outside. If she goes potty while you are not home I don't know how you can say she is leaking rather than urinating because her bladder is full. Also you said when you do not take her out within an hour or so of eating she will "leak" again I would call this just plain simple needing to go to the bathroom.

So is she going to the bathroom while you are not home and then when she is not let out?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
the leaking happens both when we're home and when we're not. We will see her licking herself and notice that there are drops of urine coming out. Also, other times, she's just laying down and doesn't notice anything, but there will be a few drops or small puddle of urine. Sometimes there's drips here and there when we're not home or a small wet spot. I suspect it's the same thing as when we are home, which is urine leaking out and her not really noticing. We've NEVER seen her actually squat inside the house to pee. All the urine we've ever had inside the house that we've witnessed has been from her laying down and urine leaking out. We also have a webcam on her during the day when we're out and, like I said, we've never seen her squat and pee. Hope that clears things up?

Edit: just wanted to add that the leaking really doesn't happen very often. If we catch her licking herself or if we see drops of pee coming out, we'll just take her outside immediately. It has been somewhat "manageable", it's just that the issue hasn't gotten better at all in the last few weeks either. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions so far :)

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
the leaking happens both when we're home and when we're not. We will see her licking herself and notice that there are drops of urine coming out. Also, other times, she's just laying down and doesn't notice anything, but there will be a few drops or small puddle of urine. Sometimes there's drips here and there when we're not home or a small wet spot. I suspect it's the same thing as when we are home, which is urine leaking out and her not really noticing. We've NEVER seen her actually squat inside the house to pee. All the urine we've ever had inside the house that we've witnessed has been from her laying down and urine leaking out. We also have a webcam on her during the day when we're out and, like I said, we've never seen her squat and pee. Hope that clears things up?

Edit: just wanted to add that the leaking really doesn't happen very often. If we catch her licking herself or if we see drops of pee coming out, we'll just take her outside immediately. It has been somewhat "manageable", it's just that the issue hasn't gotten better at all in the last few weeks either. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions so far :)
Ok ty for clearing it up LOL I was just confused, but that happens often with me :) I wonder if its her trying to hold it. Does she let you know when she needs to go out? Sit by the back door or whine? If not I think it is her trying to control her bladder when she has to go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure if it's just her trying to hold it or not. It'd be great if that's true. She doesn't really let us know at all. Not that we've been able to figure out yet anyway. We've had her for less than a month though, and I would almost say that just this week she's started to really settle in. we just don't want to pay for an $800 test only to have the vet tell us that we still don't know what's wrong!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I wonder if she was abused for going potty inside by her original owners. Maybe take the dog to another vet for a second opinion as well as all the tests you have had done at your original vet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting. So you think it might be a behavioral issue? I guess I was under the impression that if a dog can't hold it and "deliberately" pees then I'd see her sniffing around or squatting.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Interesting. So you think it might be a behavioral issue? I guess I was under the impression that if a dog can't hold it and "deliberately" pees then I'd see her sniffing around or squatting.
Well if its happening when she is sleeping I guess not...just double read everything. If it is happening while sleeping or lying down I am concerned why your vet has not suggested incontinence medication before surgery...and did they rule out stones?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts