Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dog has urinary tract infection that is caused from both protien and minerals - - so i give her for a few years now "cd hills prescription" which is for UTI

i talked to a vet and she said she probably dosnt need that food anymore but that i should take a blood test to be sure but i cant take her to the vet ( my dog is to afraid to go ) so i cant do a blood test

My dog also dosnt like her food much and is skinny - so i want to at least mix and give her the "cd" food and also "regular" quality food to make her fat

plus im more worried about her weight then even if her UTI problem will come back

so any good brands that can be good for her ? im not looking for a food that would completely wont affect her UTI (if she still has it cause the vet says she might be "over" it completely )

are there some foods ("human foods") i can add to her medical food that wont make her UTI worse or at least not much worse ?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
You may not be able to take her in for a blood test, but you could take a urine sample in for testing. Just get one of the sample cups from the vet's office and use a clean dish or pie place to collect the sample when she is going. Take the sample in and have it tested.

Also, you can purchase testing strips from the pharmacy that test for pH of urine. The ideal pH is 7, if it goes up or down, then there is a problem.

That being said, if she isn't crazy about the prescription food, change her to whatever you want. Just make sure that you test her urine regularly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is seen by a vet - and she recommended to do blood tests - the only way to take blood from her is to make her sleepy by under skin injection - which i wouldnt want to do when shes awake i held her with all my force and the vet couldnt take a blood sample

"For UTI's I'd recommend adding a lot of canned food to her diet."

intersting why ?

totally forgot about the PH test - yes i will do it - but its not as good as blood i believe

i was thinking to give her merrick brand - i belive its a quality food (and gave her a sample and she liked it) they have a no-grain product - which has pees+ yams - or a brown rice+peas

I read somewhere that yams dont do good to uti (also pees i think)
so is it better maybe for uti to try brown rice ?

also i wonder if no-grain might improve my dogs health - what do you think is the no-grain thing just an publicity stunt ? (yams are better then rice?)

·
Banned
811 Posts
As a frequent sufferer of UTI, I will say to drink tons of clean water.
Very important.

Why I agree with canned foods for the water content.

Roman has not have UTI as he is allowed to pee whenever he wants on clean surfaces (wood deck washed and scrubbed with bleach dish detergents daily by me). So can't see myself crating and dictating when he goes pee since I suffered UTI and may have to leak as often as every 5 mins.
Quite painful too.

Even though that, he is on occasional UTI cranberry capsules wraped in creamcheese or sometimes give him what I give my cat, the UTI paste (if I am already giving my cat so its convenient to).

·
Banned
811 Posts
One more reason canned foods...
Since some dogs may relate that pain from peeing to water, may be reluctant to drink more water to flush out its system.
Canned foods or foods with high water contents will be a good way to ensure that water intake.

JMHO.

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
She really needs to be seen by a vet, according to some of your other post she's in pain from her hip and probably arthritis, on top of what you mention here.

Sometimes pet owners, just like human parents, have to make the pet do what it doesn't want to do for their own good. If you had a two year old who hated the doctors but had recurring UTI's, or some other recurring problem, would you be on the internet looking for advice or would you be scheduling an appointment with the pediatrician?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
she use to have a hard time peeing and when it was the most severe she hada tiny amount of blood in the pee - the vet then gave her special food "sd" and she didnt have no problem with uti since then - but we kept giving her "cd" medical food - its been a few years now - everything is fine UTI wise since then - i also give her meat with her food and no sign of pain when she pees no blood no problem for at least 5 years

to take a blood test she has to be sedated - because i tryed to take her blood in the vet and she was moving to much (even though i used my entire force to hold her )

would you be scheduling an appointment with the pediatrician?

i took her to the vet - and i might take her again but im pretty sure he wont have anything useful to add
if i would schedule an appointment to a pediatrician and he wont help much then i would look for advice in the internet

·
Registered
724 Posts
she use to have a hard time peeing and when it was the most severe she hada tiny amount of blood in the pee - the vet then gave her special food "sd" and she didnt have no problem with uti since then - but we kept giving her "cd" medical food - its been a few years now - everything is fine UTI wise since then - i also give her meat with her food and no sign of pain when she pees no blood no problem for at least 5 years

to take a blood test she has to be sedated - because i tryed to take her blood in the vet and she was moving to much (even though i used my entire force to hold her )

would you be scheduling an appointment with the pediatrician?

i took her to the vet - and i might take her again but im pretty sure he wont have anything useful to add
if i would schedule an appointment to a pediatrician and he wont help much then i would look for advice in the internet
You would look for medical advice for your child on the internet?

I'm not trying to be mean, but from everything you've been saying about this dog in your posts....it really needs to see a vet whether it wants to or not. Maybe look in to a vet that does home visits. They are out there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I give a cranberry pill every night with two of my dog's meals. One gets it for teary eyes, the other gets it for UTIs. It isn't a substitute for vet care though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts