Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice!!!

I have a 4 year old Bichon X Shih Tzu, at around 9 months (after being fully house trained) we noticed he would stand up and just let his pee go where ever he was. We took him to the vet to get nuetered, and told the vet about the problem, he did some tests and told us he had urinary crystals. We switched his food to Hills Prescription Diet c/d® Canine Urinary Tract Health kibble, and he hates it. He's now 4 and has been on this food for about 3 and half years, he eats his kibble about once a week, even though he's free fed, and there's always kibble for him, throughout the week he does get table scraps, treats ect. I was wondering if anyone had the same trouble getting their dogs to eat. We want to switch his food back to Acana, because he rarely eats his food, and seems to just be a waste of money, considering he eats everything but and still hasn't had any issues with peeing or crystals (knock on wood). I feel bad that he doesn't like his food. I know he'll eat when he's hungry. Does anyone know of any other food for his issue that we could try him on, or any a dive about switching him back to his regular food?

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
Looking for advice!!!

I have a 4 year old Bichon X Shih Tzu, at around 9 months (after being fully house trained) we noticed he would stand up and just let his pee go where ever he was. We took him to the vet to get nuetered, and told the vet about the problem, he did some tests and told us he had urinary crystals. We switched his food to Hills Prescription Diet c/d® Canine Urinary Tract Health kibble, and he hates it. He's now 4 and has been on this food for about 3 and half years, he eats his kibble about once a week, even though he's free fed, and there's always kibble for him, throughout the week he does get table scraps, treats ect. I was wondering if anyone had the same trouble getting their dogs to eat. We want to switch his food back to Acana, because he rarely eats his food, and seems to just be a waste of money, considering he eats everything but and still hasn't had any issues with peeing or crystals (knock on wood). I feel bad that he doesn't like his food. I know he'll eat when he's hungry. Does anyone know of any other food for his issue that we could try him on, or any a dive about switching him back to his regular food?
ive just popped online and seen this, have you tried royal canin urinary s/o? my girl Jessie had crystals last year and since she cant eat chicken (allergic) royal canin was only food at the time. she was on it few weeks and crystals went havent had any since and she is eating anallergenic soon to be k9 natural venison feast. also orijen and acana are to help with the urine crystal problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking for advice!!!

My dog actually had this shortly after we spayed her. They told me to put her on science diet or hills? cant remember. Anyway, it was the urinary health one. Check the ingredients.. If the first ingredient isnt meat, I dont care what "brand" or what it says it helps, it DOESNT help. Any food without the first ingredient being meat is a mark up. Basically they just put all these gross fillers into it to make it cheap, marketed it as being able to help your specific problem, and that specific vet clinic you went to is endorsing it. Its no good for your dog.. my vet gave me huge flack for refusing to put Karma onto their food.. but then I looked into Raw and started feeding that. Not only did she love it, her body became healthier, she had more energy, better breath, almost no flatulence, brighter eyes, and she was happier. She hasnt had a UTI since, and she was getting them every other month or so.

If you havent already looked into Raw, I would if I were you. Its not for everyone but I garauntee if you gave it a shot you would be happy with the outcome..

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Looking for advice!!!

I have a 4 year old Bichon X Shih Tzu, at around 9 months (after being fully house trained) we noticed he would stand up and just let his pee go where ever he was. We took him to the vet to get nuetered, and told the vet about the problem, he did some tests and told us he had urinary crystals. We switched his food to Hills Prescription Diet c/d® Canine Urinary Tract Health kibble, and he hates it.

This many be helpful. Says not diet change except for a short time if there was an infection. Never supposed to be a full time diet.
Canine Kidney Stone and Bladder Stone Prevention - Whole Dog Journal Article
2. Struvite crystals do not require a change in diet. Because struvite crystals do not pose a problem unless the dog has a urinary tract infection, there is no required treatment for crystals, including dietary changes. If the dog does have a urinary tract infection, a prescription dog food will not cure it.

If your veterinarian finds struvite crystals in the urine and suggests a diet change, you’d be well advised to find a new vet. You have to wonder how many other things he or she is misinformed about. It isn’t just a case of not keeping up with newer research; this recommendation is just plain wrong.

3. Dogs prone to forming struvite stones should not be kept on a special diet for life. Struvites almost always form because of infections, for which dogs with a history of stones should be closely monitored and properly treated. No long-term dietary change is required, nor will a special diet prevent the formation of infection-induced struvites. However, short-term changes may help speed the dissolution of stones.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Dawnben beat me to it. Kris, my Doberman, when she was a puppy had struvite crystals but no UTI. The Vet checked with the Science Diet people as she was a puppy and they said they would not recommend she be put on their food. So, I just kept feeding her normally and she has never had a problem and she is 20 months old now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts