Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks, I'll try and be brief. This last Sunday (10/2) We picked up a Boxer puppy, 10 weeks old from a breeder. It took about 5 hours to get him home, whole car trip he was fine. Lazy but took the ride well, about an hour from home he puked, we were not worried as he had been in the car most of the day. Over the next 24 hours (10/3) he became worse, very lethargic, continued to vomit with diarrhea. He lost appetite but would drink water. We took him to the vet and ruled out Parvo, than ran other tests but nothing came back concrete, we were sent off with antibiotics and told to hope for the best. Over the course of today (10/4) the situation has became much much worse, He's in obvious pain, wont or cant move, won't drink or eat and Crys out every few minutes. We are extremely worried but don't want to get caught with a extremely high vet bill trying to figure this all out. Any Information would be so appreciated

·
Super Moderator
8,034 Posts
I would absolutely get him back to the vet. I would also contact the breeder. A reputable breeder would want to know about this. I'm not an expert on the law in these situations but I would try to get them to pay for all or some of the vet bills. Good luck!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree that he needs to be seen by the vet again, and the breeder should be informed. It's hard to say what it could be. Did he have x-rays to rule out any sort of obstruction?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'm not an expert on the law in these situations but I would try to get them to pay for all or some of the vet bills. Good luck!
I echo the well wishes. However, requests for compensation are premature, we do not know whether something occurred in the car ride home, overheating,etc. which would not be the fault of the breeder.

I also think a return trip to the vet, as soon as possible, is warranted.

·
Super Moderator
8,034 Posts
@Lucille - as I said before that comment... I would contact the breeder and discuss with them. The OP was concerned about vet bills and my comment was to encourage them to explore the option that the breeder MAY pay for some of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the responses and well wishes, we contacted the vet and followed their instructions... unfortunately he passed away early this morning, We still don't know what caused it. There is a lot of sadness, anger, and confusion currently.

·
Super Moderator
8,034 Posts
Thank you all for the responses and well wishes, we contacted the vet and followed their instructions... unfortunately he passed away early this morning, We still don't know what caused it. There is a lot of sadness, anger, and confusion currently.
I'm SO sorry!! Is the vet going to perform any testing to determine a cause of death?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm so sorry for the loss of your puppy. I hope you can find peace and some answers. Sending you comfort and happy thoughts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you get to the bottom of why he and your family have been put through this :(

I've asked my angel dogs to give your pup a proper welcome!

·
Registered
368 Posts
sometimes in puppies that test negative for Parvo but LOOK like Parvo, we treat them like Parvo and keep retesting them, and often the tests finally confirm our diagnosis... don't take a negative parvo test as the ONLY possibility. Plus, even if it wasn't parvo, the treatment for a sick puppy with vomiting and diarrhea is exactly the same and would be a good idea should you find yourself in such a situation again. By the way, a necropsy with tissues sent out will often diagnose parvo (or other causes) that a blood test might have missed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts