Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was about a year after losing my dog from a terrible hit and run accident. My neighbor came by, telling me she will be moving out, and that her new landlord does not allow dogs at the new place. She asked me if I would like to take care of the dog for her, and after some long emotional consideration, I finally agreed.

She is a long haired chihuahua, I was told she was about five years old. She wasn't spayed, and already had babies a few years back.

It's been about a month since then, and last night I noticed a bump under her skin on her lower stomach. Precisely between her thigh and her stomach. When I tried to touch it, it escaped my fingers, as if it was floating around freely. It kept sliding off. I didn't see any lumps on the opposite side, so I am assuming that it isn't normal.

I called the previous neighbor and left her a voice message this morning, but no answer so far.

I cannot bring her to the vet over the weekend, and the earliest I could would be five days from now.

Below are some images, any help on diagnosing this would be great, I am so worried I may lose another dog. Thank you

·
Registered
59 Posts
Obviously it would be wrong for me to try and diagnose anything as I am not qualified, but I would like to reassure you that the fact you said the lump is free floating and not attached to the tissue is a very good thing.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Definitely get her to a vet, and as the above poster said, there's really no way anyone (vet or not) who can tell you what the lump is, just by looking at a photo, there needs to be an examination.

I hope this will calm your nerves, though... I've had a good number of dogs in my life (I'm 51 years old), and almost all of them developed cysts/tumors at one point or another. My one vet called him 'fatty cysts' and in almost every case, nothing is done to them - the kind my dogs got, rarely ever needed operated on, as they didn't cause my dogs pain and stayed about the same size over the years.

I had a few occasions though there the things developed in areas around a joint, or in the case of one dog, on her chest, and it got to the point she didn't like to lay down with her chest on the floor, like she use to do. I had one or two where the lump over the years just got bigger and seemed to annoy the dog...even though it wasn't near a joint and interfering with joint movement. I think the bigger lumps just had some weight and maybe the dog was feeling it and would lick or scratch at the area. The ones that annoyed the dog the vet removed, none of them turned out to be cancerous.

Anyway, and again, given your description of the lump, just as the above poster said, it's probably a good thing that it's free floating. Your vet will be able to give the the proper diagnosis though and advice on what should be done with it.
It's probably a bit startling for you to find the lump, and it's good that you noticed it...some people don't pet or handle their dogs enough to notice such things.

I hope your vet will be able to tell you that the lump is a 'safe' one. Let us know what happens. : )

Stormy

Reactions: Lisa DogLover

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 12 year old miniature pinscher has several of them on her stomach. She started developing them about 5 years ago. They are typically called fatty cyst. They are nothing to worry about. It they didn't move around then that might be a different story.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much, I am so happy to at least know that it probably won't be a big problem! I was so nervous that I couldn't sleep for a few nights. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow morning, I hope everything works out for us. Thanks for all your support!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts