Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently gave home to a stray Akita dog (shes a giant but the sweetest thing) and she just gave birth very very early this morning to 10 puppies (the vet was a little off by saying 6). Two problems, the most urgent is one of the puppies is hurt, i dont know if it was on purpose or accident but she hurt one of the puppies around the neck like where they carry them from, the puppy is currently next to me snuggled up but whining probably in pain, it does not look like a serious injury so i doubt a vet will do much, also before the mom gave birth we set her up in a small ( but perfect for a dog) room for her but she refuses to keep her puppies there and prefers the empty shed we have in the back (its newly built and stays pretty much room temperature all day and there are no snakes or bugs around our house) but the problem is there are flies because of the puppies and i dont know how to keep them from wanting to fly in, thanks in advance

·
Registered
42 Posts
If I were you, I'd take all the pups (and maybe the mom too) to the vet for a check up. Make sure they're all okay and healthy. Especially the hurt puppy.

Also, bring the dog and her pups inside and keep them in the house. Set the mom and her pups up in the kitchen or even the livingroom with your family.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
If I were you, I'd take all the pups (and maybe the mom too) to the vet for a check up. Make sure they're all okay and healthy. Especially the hurt puppy.

Also, bring the dog and her pups inside and keep them in the house. Set the mom and her pups up in the kitchen or even the livingroom with your family.
I agree, the little pup must see a vet, the little guy may have internal injuries, which are hard to detect. Also, I would try to get Mama to stay inside your house somewhere, safer for her & the pups & you can keep a closer eye on them all :thumbsup:
What are you planning to do with the pups eventually? Might be a good idea to get the help of a reputable rescue to help ensure they go to good homes. Good luck, I expect you're going to have a few sleepless nights :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts