Dog Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read all about "littermate syndrome" and the warnings against adopting two sibling puppies.
I have a different situation.
Two adult dog sisters that were rescued together from the same unfortunate circumstance are available for adoption from my local rescue dog shelter.
Since these dogs are adults and are no longer in "developmental" phases, would they be considered more of a "bonded pair" that shouldn't be split up?
I have only a couple hours to make this decision to take one or both! Help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't explain it thoroughly enough. We already adopted one and have had her for 48 hours and she is doing super well. We are considering adopting her sister tomorrow but other people have advised us against it, referencing the littermate syndrome.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ah, I see. It's kind of hard to tell either way since I don't know the dogs and it usually takes rescues weeks to months to settle in and show more personality. Is there a way you can take both for a walk together tomorrow to see what changes? Maybe ask the fosters/rescue? If it's a healthy bond, I don't see a reason not to if that's what you want and wouldn't worry about littermate syndrome. However, if it's not healthy, like they become reactive or the body language becomes stiff or stressed, I'd personally not.
Wish I could be more helpful, but it really is about how healthy/unhealthy their bond is and what you want. However, if she's happy and social by herself, they may not be super bonded.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts