Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Hoping you could help me.

I have a four-year-old Hungarian Vizsla called Mouse.

She was spayed 3 days ago. The operation went well. She is drinking water and eating but not in her normal quantities.

She HATES the bandage. It freaks her out so she pretty much spends all day lying down and if she has to move she sprints to wherever she has to go and lies straight back down. Because of this, I haven't been able to walk her at all. Because I take her out and she throws herself on the ground.

Because of this she hasn't peed or been to the bathroom since Monday morning (its now Thursday evening). I called the vet expressing my concern yesterday afternoon and he told me she just hates the bandage and eventually she will pee because she has too.

She is all bloated obviously and literally just sleeping all day. The vet said not to worry and within a couple days she'll be fine but I'm still worried. Any advice?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I'm surprised your Vet hasn't expressed more concern. Three days with zero elimination is a long time, and it seems to me that she would be prone to developing a UTI as well as other complications. If it were my dog, I would be going for a second opinion, sooner rather than later. I hope all is well, but I would want a couple of professional opinions reassuring me.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I agree, consult a different vet. The one female I did have to have spayed years ago, wore a cone collar to keep her from licking the stitches, no bandage, for a week after the spay. In my mind, a good vet would offer that option if the bandage were the issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts