Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any advice for a dog with an upset stomach?

My dog had TFO (table food overdose) while at my sister's house on Saturday. He likes to stalk the kids for droppings under the table. Sunday, he had no appetite and hid under the bed and slept most of the day. He vomited once, which was the color of his food that he nibbled on and had diarrhea later that afternoon. He didn't really drink that much water either.

On Monday, he ate about half a cup of food (regular portion is just under 1 cup), but had diarrhea. He didn't eat that afternoon, but was drinking his usual amount of water.

Tuesday, he nibbled, but that was it. He wouldn't even really go for his favorite treats. Stool looked soft, but not runny. He's been on Pedialyte since Sunday night.

Today (Wednesday), he's still not hungry, but nibbled on something. Should I be worried yet and go to the vet? I know that he didn't ingest anything poisonous and that stomach issues are common in dogs. I made an appointment in case his symptoms persist at the end of the week. He's not as energetic as usual, but I know it's because his stomach is upset. He's looking much better compared to Sunday though.

Note: I've made him boiled chicken and rice, but he's not that enthusiastic about it. Tried to give him just the chicken, and he just turned his head.

·
Premium Member
10,779 Posts
How big is he?

If he's over 10lbs I'd fast him from food for 24 hours to give his tummy a chance to settle down, then offer him the chicken and rice for a few days. See how he does on that then add back in his normal dog food. If he's under 10 lbs then don't fast him as long since tiny dogs can become hypoglycemic. If he's that small then fast him for 8 to 12 hours before offereing the chicken and rice, unless you know he cannot go that long without eating.

If he gets any worse, or doesn't improve after fasting him, then bring him to the vet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How big is he?

If he's over 10lbs I'd fast him from food for 24 hours to give his tummy a chance to settle down, then offer him the chicken and rice for a few days. See how he does on that then add back in his normal dog food. If he's under 10 lbs then don't fast him as long since tiny dogs can become hypoglycemic. If he's that small then fast him for 8 to 12 hours before offereing the chicken and rice, unless you know he cannot go that long without eating.

If he gets any worse, or doesn't improve after fasting him, then bring him to the vet.
He's about 14 lbs and he should actually be about 11.5. He is slightly on the obese side per the vet and could stand to lose a little weight. I'll try the chicken again, but he won't take rice. If he doesn't improve by tomorrow, I'm taking him in first thing Friday. Like I said, he'll nibble but his appetite is definitely not the same. I'm pretty neurotic about what he eats anyway and inform the kids about what is poisonous to dogs. He also wears shoes outside with the snow so I know he hasn't consumed any salt from the ground. He does like to rub his face in the snow, but I make sure that he only does it in unsalted fresh snow.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
It could be a pancreatitis attack, as explained here:

Pancreatitis in Dogs | Symptoms and Signs

I think it would be good to get him in sooner, rather than later. If a dog doesn't eat for more than a day or so, there's got to be an issue. Then I would read the kids the riot act, and if they still can't be trusted, he needs to be kept in another room during meals. Being obese is not good for him, and as you can see, there can be serious health consequences from ingesting human food.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.