Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this on behalf of my parents, who live in another country; they are not very internet savvy so I have to browse these fora on their behalf. ;)

They have two shih tzus, Brandy (almost 1 year old) and Whisky (4 months approx) - they got Whisky from the same pet shop despite concerns about buying dogs from so-called 'puppy mills'... live and learn. :( They saw him in the shop window and could not resist....

Anyway Whisky seemed healthy and happy, and has grown a great deal in the 2 months my parents have had him. He has a good appetite and is lively, etc. He did not have any particular health concerns until a bout of vomiting/diarrhoea a few days after his final vaccination shots which the vet said was probably a simple infection.

Anyway barely a week later, he started to have a strange gait while walking, and they observed him collapsing a few times while playing with Brandy. Suspecting something amiss, they took him to the vet again, who gave him an x-ray and other tests, and said he was suffering from a lung infection and had a 'stage 1 enlarged heart'. How common is this in a puppy this age??? Now we're suspecting that the pet shop was in a hurry to sell this puppy to my parents because they were very persuasive (my parents were ambivalent about whether to get Brandy a companion) and even gave them a considerable discount on the dog. Anyway Whisky is now on antibiotics for his infection, and has to be taken back to the vet for further treatment for his heart. Apparently, the vet said the normal heart size for a puppy his age should be 10.5 and Whisky's is 11 - which is a 'mild' case but nevertheless, should be noted.

Naturally my parents are upset about this and they wonder what the prognosis is for a puppy his age to have an enlarged heart? Is it still possible for the puppy to lead a relatively normal life? Has anyone else had a young dog with this condition, which is presumably congenital?

x
concernedwomble

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your parents dog enlarged heart. It is hard to say about the prognosis of their pet since each animal is different and it depends on well they respond to treatment. you want to start the dog a low sodium diet to keep their water retention down.

Also a diet high in Taurine which regulates the heartbeat. and a diet with Carnitine and coenzyme Q which help with a dogs enlarged heart by bringing fatty acids into muscle cells which is then converted into the needed energy.

Always consult with a vet though. because each case is different and without a physical evaulation it is impossible to tell.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your reply! I was beginning to fear that this poor pup has a really serious and unusual problem! :(

The vet just re-evaluated him, said that the problem was not as bad as she had initially feared, but still warned against over-exertion. She doesn't think that it is bad enough to warrant medication at this stage though, so we'll just have to wait and see. I'll pass the diet tips on to my parents.

Thanks again!
x
concernedw

1 - 3 of 3 Posts