Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Heidi's RG has increased to include locations (she was in a hole at the dog park, and a dog came over to help her dig, and Heidi snapped at her). She also responds this way if any dog tries to take her sticks at the park, and this morning Levi was licking up some leftover chicken, and she ran over and snapped to move him. Yesterday at daycare, I went into the small dog area, and all the dogs ran over and Heidi snapped at one who was jumping up on me.

I've read "Mine!" by Jean Donaldson, but I found it really discusses RG in dogs to humans opposed to dog to dog RG. (It has been some time since I read it, so maybe I should do a double-check on that) Heidi has zero issues giving me her sticks, coming out of the hole, touching her food bowl, etc. etc, her and Levi eat side by side with no issues, and also can eat things like Dentastix side by side.

I'm really hoping for advice, since my dogs go everywhere with me, and I would like her to be comfortable in any situation we might encounter. I have also heard that it is much more common for females to RG, which I though was interesting.

Anyways. Please halp.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She will do it with Levi sometimes, but not always. And she never snaps at him if he is carrying a toy, she will happily play tug of war with him. She's a little nervous when she meets a new bigger dog, but a dog her size she is VERY happy with.

She plays quite roughly when she wrestles. It's a lot of mouth open stuff, she rarely actually closes her mouth on a dog. She also really really loves to chase and nip, which I think is just her border collie coming through. She does kind of make what I call demon noises when she plays. It's like a growl/moan combination.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Besides re-reading Mine!, you might want another Jean Donaldson book, Fight!, which is about aggression/guarding with other dogs. Finding a professional to help you assess the behavior and develop a treatment plan might also be handy, as dog-dog stuff can get frustrating fast.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@SnackRat - I do have that one on my Kindle, I will take a look at it as well, thank you. :) Heidi goes to a socialization class run by a behaviourist and when I asked her for help (she has also seen the behaviour in class) her only advice to me was "Make sure she has a good drop command", which left me feeling kind of discouraged, so I will have to check out other trainers in the area.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
I have a similar issue with Roxie. She RGs a comfy place she is laying in, or if she is getting attention and treats from someone, or if she has something she REALLY likes (like a raw bone). She snaps but barely ever has made land fall (only on Forbes, and once on my leg in a freak timing accident). I'm going to keep watching this thread as well as all the books and things I have read don't really help at all. I've honestly chalked it up to her being a female (known to be a little moodier) and am more aware of my surroundings when we are out (she doesn't like when dogs run into her space) and aware of her facial expressions when we are home. As far as wanting to take out a dog that I can trust 100%, I'll just bring Forbes.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@jclark343 - Must be an Aussie thing, and maybe a boy thing...?
@SnackRat - She has the following: Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Guelph, majoring in biology and minoring in psychology, and continued her education at the American College of Applied Science, completing her Master's in Companion Animal Behaviour Counselling.

I don't like the way she trains though. She introduces the cue immediately with the new behaviour, which just involves a lot of people chanting/yelling "stay" at their dogs. During the puppy playtime she also has a very "They'll work it out" mentality, which I don't like.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sounds like you picked someone who looks good on paper, but isn't the right fit in person...hope you can find someone more helpful for the next round of classes, or to work with one-on-one. There is definitely more to be done to work on RG and/or general snarkiness than just practicing a drop cue!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.