Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ozzy is a 5 year old 100 pound Black Lab x Husky and very strong. He has always been a leash puller but over the last year he has picked up some awful habits! During specific spots on our walk he all of a sudden pulls/lunges with one big jerk and crosses the street, when I attempt to correct the pulling he jumps up and paws at his collar and leash and pulls back into the road. It almost like he goes into a trance and will not calm down, his mission is to cross the road to the other side. There are about 4 or so different spots on all different walking routs that this happens. There is the odd time I am able to have him sit and calm down but as soon as I action us to go he does it again and won't go any further on the side walk. It's a very obsessive pattern and is only getting worse. I have tried walking in different directions, harnesses, head halti, prong collar, Cesars no pull collar, regular choke. I know these do not correct issues but I'm trying to find something that can get me more in control. Other than this he is a fantastic gentle dog & never shown any sign of aggression. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I hope I've been able to across that this is not a simple pulling issue but rather an odd and dangerous OCD type behavior....

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
The ex has a lab/husky cross, 80+ pounds, pretty much 50/50 right down to the eyes. She grew up on a farm, had free run - coyote killer she was. It was interesting times when she came to the city. The husky in her was very prey driven, she would see/smell/hear things and end up trying to pull me in whatever direction it was. It is dangerous when you're dealing with a large dog like this - pull at the wrong time and you're faced with a car coming at you. There's a small pack of yotes at one of the local off leash areas (yotes all over the city actually), once she heard one there was probably a 2 second gap to get her attention or all bets were off. This dog would lock on to something, pure focus, whimper and whine, could almost see her trying to decide if she should break from me or not.

Take a walk around without the dog, stop at the places she would try to pull. Chance are there is something around, be it a dog in the back yard of someones house, rabbit den, whatever.

As for on leash, she started off as a puller, no fun at all. When walking close to home, the destination was running around off leash - and she knew it, wanted to get there. It was a 20 minute walk to the park, sometimes it took an hour of stopping and waiting for her to calm down. When she pulled, I'd stop, she would whine or pull - but I'm not going anywhere until she calms and sits. These dogs are pretty intelligent, she caught on pretty quick.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I agree, there is probably something specific about these spots... Could be something he is interested in, could be something he is interested in getting away from! When I first got my dog, loud sounds or strange sights would cause her to bolt as quickly and as forcefully as she could in the opposite direction. There was nooo way I was dragging her back once she decided she was on the run. Just frantic pulling and scrabbling with every ounce of strength in her body. If I simply dragged her along in my original direction, she would not stop pulling/fighting the leash/pancaking to the ground for a good 20 minutes. Sound familiar?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies! I think part of the problem is he knows he will soon be off leash to run in a field. I have taken him on routes where a run is not in the agenda. The best way I can think of to try and describe what it looks like when he starts getting frantic is to picture a dog being captured in one of those hoops that go around their neck...if that makes any sense, he's desperate to get off his leash and slip his collar no matter what, it looks awful!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
My older dog used to pull terribly in specific places and on her way to the dog park. The way I addressed it was to start feeding her rapid-fire treats (really just kibbles) just before we got to "the spots" and continue until we passed them. After a few days, she started looking at me before we got to the spot an maintained attention as we walked. That was when I started cutting back on the treats and eventually phased them out almost completely. In your case, I'd suggest a super high value treat (chicken, cheese, sausage, etc) to get and keep his attention.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Rewarded behavior WILL get repeated! So if pulling gets a dog EVEN ONE STEP in the direction they're pulling, that behavior has been rewarded and thus, will get repeated. Get a front clip harness and a leash that you can attach around your waist, so if you lose grip, you can reinforce your hold with your whole weight. Treat when there's slack on the leash again and the dog offers eye contact. Continue on after treating, but stop again as soon as the leash is tight. This teaches the dog that only slack gets rewarded, not tension, plus you program a "check in" with the eye contact reward.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts