Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a lot of trouble. Got a gorgeous mixed breed girl under 1-y-o about 2 months ago - not spayed, no shots, no training. I've had most of the expected problems but she really went crazy starting yesterday. Between then and now she's chewed up almost everything in reach (it's not only the dog but my wife I can't "train" on that one), she suddenly learned how to turn the garbage can over, she's turned the cat's house over 3 times now... This has all happened more rapidly than I could take care of. I'm disabled and was already struggling.

I see some things that I have to do that I'm sure enter into this - she's very high energy and I'm not spending the time with her that she needs.

However, I can use all the suggestions I can get. I love this little girl but almost put her on Craig's List this morning.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have a few suggestions for you. first of all if she's not had shots GET HER SHOTS ASAP. Especially if you have other animals in the house. I'd also recommend getting her spayed as soon as possible, too. Once she has shots, you can take her to a training class that will help you learn to prevent and deal with any problems you are having.

Are you leaving her alone ever? When you're in the home, make sure she is within sight at all times while she's learning the house rules. I literally tethered my puppy to me when I was home so that I could make sure he was behaving. When the dog is NOT with you for whatever reason, you should really consider crating her. This way she can't break anything or ingest something she shouldn't.

Otherwise, consider rehoming her and adopting an older, calmer dog.

Reactions: kelly528

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Hi RicWag,

Can you tell us more about how you acquired your dog? From a shelter? rescue group? Craigslist? A friend? What do you know about her history?

Also, how much previous experience have you had with dogs? Is this your first dog? What kind of training methods have you used in the past?

What attracted you to this dog? What were your expectations for having a dog?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but more background on you and your dog would help a lot. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
If you do decide on giving her up please consider surrendering her to a shelter, or better, a rescue, not craigslist. People often try to recoup their losses by selling their dogs online, in spite of their complete lack of experience in selecting out good pet owners. This very often ends bleakly for the dog. Especially if your female is unspayed, you can guess what kind of people will be the first to jump on her.

A shelter or a rescue, on the other hand, will provide her with the necessary spay and shots and assess her temperament around other dogs, children and cats before putting her up for adoption.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm going to be blunt......re home her to a rescue now while she's young and impressionable. A 1.5 year old dog with no training has special needs. Rescues can do that. They have programs that turn dogs like her into great doggie citizens. I cringed when your first reaction was to put her on Craigslist. It's early in the game and it will get better but also will get worse.

Think long and hard about if you truly are the right owner for this dog and if you truly have the right home. There are lots of success stories, but behind those stories are blood, sweat and tears. Are you willing to put in the work? If you're not, rehome to a rescue now rather than later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. Have missed some here. Zivah calmed down and never chewed another "wrong" thing but still too much to do.

Let me say first that my former girlfriend (7 years) was heavily into dog rescue so I was in the middle as well. While this may be admirable in many ways and gave me a lot of insight, it required no real training of dogs on my part. I had my share of theory but no real detail. I find that I know how to start training but not how to continue, add and fade out treats somewhat.

I got Zivah from Craig's List. The woman brought her in, said she had to go back to the car for documents. I never saw her again. Zivah hasn't been spayed so I can also assume no shots, etc. Certainly I am committed to such things to include a chip, basic training, etc. But I have some problems here.

Vet. services are now considerably higher than I remembered. On disability and coming more quickly than planned, I can't do what needs to be done. I'm looking for area services that may help and/or a sponser of some sort.

Should a dog lover of limited income never have a dog? So many need homes and I have the basic knowledge and intentions needed. I just need to bridge the financial bridge which will include finding another part time job.

As for rehoming I do think about it regularly; for Zivah's sake rather than my own. Sorry I mentioned Craig's List for this. I would never do that. She would have to go to an appropriate rescue.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Many places have low cost shots and spays available. Look at shelters and even many pet stores. I also had a vet that worked with the state for people on medicare. But it filled fast, the best time to sign up was the beginning of the year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts