Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we lost our Dalmatian x whippet in Feb and our mastiff cross just before Xmas. our remaining dog (lab) isn't keen on being on her own- we can't leave her at all unless there's another dog there as she gets very upset (she's 9yr rescue dog who spent most of her life locked in a cellar so very clingy)
we are hoping to get another dog in Feb or March or when a suitable dog appears. we are probably going to get one that is being thrown out or sold- none of our local rescues have breeds we want or we fail homecheck as no garden.

I'm unsure exactly what a suitable breed would be so any help is great. these are our requirements to fit our lifestyle
- I have an older lab who still does walks and loves to play but also likes to sleep and doesn't like being pestered when asleep
- I'm a dogwalker so dog would need to be able to manage walking for min 1hr up to around 4hrs some days
- I want a breed that can manage big walks but is happy to have just an hour some days if I'm tired
-must get on with other dogs (I know this will often be down to the dogs background but no breeds that are naturally not keen on being around others)
- the dog would need to be happy in crowded places with people and other dogs
- i would like a breed that isn't barky or yappy all the time
- I'm ok at training as have trained all my own rescues but would like a breed who likes to learn
- no dogs with high prey/hunt drive that can be offlead once trained with recall but won't suddenly vanish after something
- I also board dogs occasionally inc a nervous lurcher regualrly
- no giant breeds due to small house and I can't afford costs such as huge food bill
- can be able to be left alone with our other dog if I need to go out
- no bull breeds or guarding breeds due to our area not being too tolerant of them

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
If you don't have a specific breed in mind, I'd go to the local shelter and be a dogwalker for a few weeks... chances are high there'll be a dog that finds you. :)

A Herder mix could be perhaps a good, fit...Schnauzer, German Pinscher or Dalmatian, Medium or Standard poddle. Retriever could fit, but they're pretty big dogs.
You were saying no guarding breeds... how is it with alert dogs, like the Spitz. they could also fit.
I wouldn't choose hunting breeds, because you don't want preydrive (which can still happen in every dogbreed), but generally a lot of medium-sized breedmixes could meet your requirements. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what are poodles like? Iv only ever met the tiny ones and they seemed either very nervous and cowering or yapping at everything. Iv heard of poodles being assistance dogs and quite intelligent so if they can cope with exercise that's a possibility.

Iv not had good experiences with collies as live semi rural and lots of the farm collies have aggression issues, I know they would cope with the big walks but how are they with a day of rest- would they cope?
I love my labs and retrievers but just that bit too big now :( if I could afford another big dog id have a lab

I'd also need to look into any genetic health issues for any breed I think of as previous rescues have had lots of health issues- salvation cross had loads of allergies and Kidney failure and mastiff cross had joint issues and dysplacia. our lab has bit of arthritis but nothing bad.

the majority of dogs in our local shelters are Staffies or jack Russell's- staffys are not particularly welcome in my area and I'm not keen on jack Russell's. we also have a specific greyhound rescue but their not for me either.
I'd welcome a cross breed if I know what health issues I could expect or what traits they could inherit from each parent and it would fit right.
I'm hoping to get a dog minimum 6mths up to 2-3yrs, possibly older- I'm expecting a few behavioural issues if bit older depending on background but can't have another dog-aggressive dog or very nervous dog.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I think your looking for a specific dog rather than a breed IMO.

I'm also a dog walker and I have a Border Collie who comes out on all my walks with me, does brilliantly with the dogs I board but is also cool with hanging out in the house whilst I'm at work, with or without a walk before I leave.

Not many BCs would be cool with any or all of that but mines is, your search may take a while but the perfect dog will come along eventually.

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
That's it, I'm heading for bed, my eyes are blurring and I read that title as.... Unsure what breed dog to eat.

Reactions: PoppyKenna

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
i don't own a poodle myself, but the most i met were really good at adapting to their family.
they were social but not overly obstrusive towards strangers, generally friendly but aloof.
not overly talkative, but they bark more than my Molosser mix for sure.
I met two standard poodles that had a bit of preydrive, but this is more a handling thing than the need to hunt, in my opinion. I wouldn't call them hunting dogs... probably they were more bored.

i think they're cool with 1-1,5 hours of walks a day, having them mentally exercised is probably more important... they're pretty intelligent. :)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Poodle, I think fit best.
But I think some Scent-hounds fit, I know a couple who Walker Coonhounds who are vary reliable off-leash and have low prey-drive. I also love the description of coonhounds of 10 minutes of furry :). They will keep up with you but are pretty content to laze about the rest of the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts