Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day everyone! :thumbsup:

I was just wondering what interesting, unique, different or funny words people use for their commands.
I guess most of us use 'sit' and 'down', but I thought maybe some people have some interesting commands. (Or have heard other people use them)
I am teaching Riloue to 'sit pretty' or 'beg' (haven't put a word on it yet) and am looking for something more interesting for the command.

But I'd love to hear of any interesting words you use
Cheers :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
That's an interesting question. :)

If I want to pick my little dog up I say Lift though I think Carry might be more appropriate.

I say Nicely meaning gently or not rough when most people would say gently. I dont know why I chose that word.

There can be a problem if other people walk or look after your dog at anytime they wont know what words you use and your dog might not understand theres.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Levi knows "bow" but I find it sounds way to similar to "down" so instead his cue is "Bravo!" I also find most people use "leave it" but I think it sounds too much like "Levi", so his cue to leave things alone is "off"

·
Registered
406 Posts
"Clean up" to pick up crumbs, etc. The Lab I show in Rally backs up when you say, "Beep".

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Riley knows "sit" but he also knows it as "butt-down". Instead of "speak" the cue is "complain" because that's how I captured it (he becomes vocal when he gets frustrated). It's pretty cute because for whatever reason, when he's in a down and "complains" he'll also stomp his paws.

Reactions: gngracie

·
Registered
871 Posts
I used to have an 'act ashamed' to cue Pepper to cover her nose with her paws. Also being the horse geek I am I used 'yeehaw' for her to stand on her back legs.

My friend used to have "get on the ground" for lay down with her Weim.

My dad has "relinquish" for drop it for his lab.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Riley knows "sit" but he also knows it as "butt-down". Instead of "speak" the cue is "complain" because that's how I captured it (he becomes vocal when he gets frustrated). It's pretty cute because for whatever reason, when he's in a down and "complains" he'll also stomp his paws.
Hahaha, that sounds adorable.

Bit of an Arrested Development fan, so instead of leave it, its 'No touching!' Other than that I pretty much use general commands....
Ooh, I like that one!

Reactions: Rileysaur

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I use "Spider-Man" for her pawstand and "hit it" for her rebound

Other than that nothing to creative

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
nothing really unique and special but i use handsigns...and well German commands, because it's more natural for me. :)

here (Hier)-> pointing infront my feet with the index finger
sit beside me (...) -> I sit down and tap on the floor with my hand
sit (Sitz) -> pointing to the sky with the index finger
heel (Fuß) -> tap against my leg
down (Platz)->open hand moves towards the floor
give paw (Pfote)->hand opened upwards
high five (Fünf!) -> stretched open hand
lay down on your side (lieg') -> open hand moves towards the side
go to your place (auf dein' Platz)->point with index finger to the dogbed
speak (Wuff!)-> tapping against my chest

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Chisum still struggles with putting his paws on the counter to get at food, so I tell him "paws on the floor" instead of off. I didn't really train it, it just kind of happened :)

Now to get the rascal to lay down on the rug instead.....

·
Registered
172 Posts
All my dogs are trained in German... Also, one of my dogs knows pretty much every variation of "outside." As soon as he hears "walkies," "out," "time to run," "leash," "collar," or heck, even "forests" makes him go nuts and run for the door.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We use " Pipi Machen" for lets go potty. Works for all 3.

"Ablegen" for lay down ( but Platz and down work also)
" Sing" for my Shepherd to speak
"knock it off" to stop barking

and my husband teached our Yorkie Poo : Dance, H**ker, Dance .. yeah not my idea but she will dance on 2 legs.. *sigh*

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I didn't think I used any really unique words but Zody just barked at someone he spotted outside and I realized that I use "Thank You" instead of quiet, hush, or a variety of more common cues for shut up.

I use paw rather then shake.
Circle instead of spin.
Up Up, to ask if he wants to be picked up.

Somehow he's decided that "Whatcha want?" means do you want either a Greeny or Bully Stick. He'll run to his side of the pantry and wait for me to get him one if I ask that.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I didn't think I used any really unique words but Zody just barked at someone he spotted outside and I realized that I use "Thank You" instead of quiet, hush, or a variety of more common cues for shut up.

I use paw rather then shake.
Circle instead of spin.
Up Up, to ask if he wants to be picked up.

Somehow he's decided that "Whatcha want?" means do you want either a Greeny or Bully Stick. He'll run to his side of the pantry and wait for me to get him one if I ask that.
I also use thank you!

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
We use " Pipi Machen" for lets go potty. Works for all 3.

"Ablegen" for lay down ( but Platz and down work also)
" Sing" for my Shepherd to speak
"knock it off" to stop barking

and my husband teached our Yorkie Poo : Dance, H**ker, Dance .. yeah not my idea but she will dance on 2 legs.. *sigh*
we also have "mach ma' Kacki" (go potty) ...my mom taught uses that as.
I use "geh ma in'n Busch" (go inside the bush) for the same thing. XD
He also get's really excited when I say "lass ma' pischern gehen" (let's go pee) because it means we go for a walk. *lol*

·
Registered
298 Posts
I am more traditional with my commands. I think it is the easiest to learn if we keep them short and sweet. My favorite one is "hide" and she would pt her paws over her nose/head :)

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
@gngracie Thanks! I'll have to take a video of it sometime :p
@Zephyrdog Omg I love that! Arrested Development is awesome haha

1 - 20 of 23 Posts