Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have the opportunity to adopt an 11 yo Aussie having had to put down our 17 yo a few months ago. This dog needing a home is in a good home today and is very well trained. Good social manners, etc. But all the more reason I’m worried. This dog is very attached to her present owner and is not young. What sorts of challenges do you think we should be prepared for if we decide to bring this girl into our home of two adults and two teens? Even if we do everything right is the dog likely to have adjustment issues? I’m hoping for reading/reference suggestions. Thanks very much.

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
I'd say there is a bit of a risk, and although dogs generally do adapt, she is quite an old girl and possibly quite accustomed to her current life.

That said, I take it there is a very good reason why her current owner is rehoming her. What would happen if she didn't come to you?

If you do take her, as with any new adoptee, try to keep things calm for her, and let her set the pace. But you probably know that already.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That said, I take it there is a very good reason why her current owner is rehoming her. What would happen if she didn't come to you?
The present owner has decided to pursue adventure incompatible with having a dog. To me it’s incomprehensible that you’d give up a dog to run off but that’s what they’re doing. So dog needs a new home and there’s a hard deadline. The owner is in our broader social circle and we are experienced Aussie owners (though not experienced adoptive owners) so we feel like we might be the best shot she’s got for a good home. And we are presently dogless. We are concerned that she won’t have a lot of options and present owner will dump her in questionable situation due to the departure deadline.

I appreciate the reminder to let the dog set the pace. I note this in your advice to others and it makes perfect sense. I guess this would be like any other adoption in that way. We are worried about behavior issues resulting from new human expectations. For instance we are no dogs on furniture people whereas we know she’s allowed on the present owner’s bed. But we are also spending lots of time at home these days and would have plenty of time and attention to work with her. We used “aggressive” positive reinforcement with our Aussie puppy many years ago and she was the best dog ever. Very food responsive and eager to please. So I’m hoping I can be on top of things and ready to coach this one too. Just trying to get a sense of how different it will be with a mature dog.

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
Thinking from the dog's point of view, she will have an upheaval regardless of where and to whom she goes. And if you have a ”no furniture ” rule, she will no doubt get used to it - maybe just make sure her own bed is a better place for her to be.

I'm not sure what you mean be ”aggressive” R+?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts