Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted my rescued labrador/heeler mix when she was 7 months. she just turned 1 years old. Shes always had stomach problems. like of she goes very long periods of time without eating she'll throw up an almost bile like substance. i think is acid reflux. shes very picky and i used to be able to mix pumpkin puree, puppy chow, greek yogurt in her kibble to get her to eat. she started having some sight diarrhea after staying at a doggy hotel (which i will never go to again) but it was no big deal. she would ust have more liquidy poops but not more frequent. that seemed to subside so i gave her one of those doggie birthday cakes made from pumpkin a couple weeks ater (shes had pumpkin so many times before) at around 10 months old. she started having severe diarrhea and vomiting and i took her to the hospital. Ever since then shes been super sensitve to food. i cant expriment with food and pretty much stick with boiled chicken and rice. anything other than that wil give her diarrhea. shes had at least 7 bouts of diarrhea in 3 months. pretty much every two weeks. its like mucousy poop when she has it. she's tried hills sensitve stomch kibble and that was fine but the sensitive stomach canned food gave her some diarrhea. and the problem is she doesnt like just plain kibble so she wont eat it and then throw up because she wont eat for a long time. all fecal tests were negative and her doctor thinks its food allergies so im going to try hills science food for alleriges but its just weird becuase she wasnt like this for so long. she was a rescue and was found covered in tics and fleas but shes been tic and flea free for months. i dont know what kind of food she was eating in the environment she was recued from. when i first got her she really could eat anything but that just changed out of nowhere. i would really ike some answers or hear from people who might have had the same experience with their dogs?

·
Super Moderator
4,324 Posts
Have you tried a probiotic to help firm her poo?

If your vet thinks it is an allergy, maybe the next step could be an elimination diet. That would help you find out which ingredients she is sensitive to.

I know you said you can't experiment, but if you can find a novel protein like goat or ostrich, you could feed that food for at least 6 weeks (provided it doesn't make her ill). Then, if you wanted, you could introduce one other ingredient for another few weeks - then you would see what triggers the reaction.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You mentioned that fecal tests were clear, but I was wondering if your pup has been tested for giardia, it is an intestinal parasite that can cause the symptoms you describe, and from my understanding can be difficult to detect.
Giardia in Dogs | VCA Animal Hospital (vcahospitals.com)

I second the suggestion of doing a food trial with a limited ingredient food, fish based foods tend to be easy on their stomach and intestinal tract. If you have been feeding a grain inclusive diet, perhaps consider trying a grain free diet, (my lab mix doesn't tolerated grains at all), or consider a different protein source than what you have been feeding ie: if you are feeding a food with chicken, find one without any chicken, (it is quite common for dogs to have issues with chicken).

Keep in mind that if you are giving pumpkin it can help to firm up stools, but if you are giving too much or too often, it can cause loose stools as well. Plain yogurt can help sooth the digestive tract, (keep in mind that some dogs don't tolerate dairy products well), but I have found that plain Kefir worked better for my dogs or perhaps consider a probiotic made specifically for dogs?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts