Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! We are desperate for answers and have none. My 8 year old shepherd/lab mix started coughing about 2 years ago. He spits up white foam for a while then it turns to blood. I’ve taken him to 5 vets. No one can give us an answer. X-ray shows a healthy heart and lungs. Ultrasound shows a little damage to the heart from his heartworm treatments 5 years ago but nothing that should be causing a problem. Blood tests all come back good. His organs are all functioning within normal ranges. They give him steroids and that is the ONLY thing that has stopped the coughing and it s only works while he’s taking them. He’s been on steroids for about a year and a half and now he’s having other issues from the steroids. He’s on allergy medicine and an herbal cough medicine to try and help. Does anyone have any other ideas? My poor baby can’t take all these meds forever without it killing him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the collection of Vets you have seen, include an Internist?
Yes, one. She is the one that ordered the ultrasound. She is also the one that diagnosed him with asthma but nothing she has tried has worked at all. (Except the steriods)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the collection of Vets you have seen, include an Internist?
She Also suggested a scope but couldn't tell me how that would change the treatment so I haven't put him through that test yet. I don't want to keep knocking him out for no reason.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
What would she be looking with the scope? Perhaps some esophageal inflammation? Seems if steroids make a difference there must be some inflammation, perhaps trachea or esophagus. I'm not a Vet and am only guessing, but it seems the right Vet dedicated to finding the cause could and should be able to find it. Did you take him to a medical center, where collaboration could occur? Don't know where you are located, but is there a university with a Vet program, that you could get to?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts