Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
hello! I recently bought a new rough collie puppy... he was pretty underweight. The pup was the runt of his litter and hence the breeder didn't look after him properly. When I came over to choose a puppy my heart instantly melted and I took him rather than his healthier litter mates. He is an angel and very active however I want him to put some muscle on his skeleton. I am very liberal with his food right now. I give him eggs twice and then a heap full of baby food. He can't chew properly(3 months!) So i can't really feed him dry kibble. I would be very grateful if you guys could suggest me some food items that can help me little baby...馃檪

Super Moderator
The type of food depends on what you can get in your country but there are good wet and raw foods as well as dry. I'm curious though, why can't he chew? Has his mouth been checked for things like cleft palate, which could also have contributed to him being underweight too.

Registered
You should have had him checked out by the Vet as Joanne suggested as he should have no problem chewing by that age. You could also feed him kibble but soak it first, but I would find out why he isn't chewing first.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
The type of food depends on what you can get in your country but there are good wet and raw foods as well as dry. I'm curious though, why can't he chew? Has his mouth been checked for things like cleft palate, which could also have contributed to him being underweight too.
Yes...he is just a late bloomer... his teeth have not yet come out of the gums. He'll hopefully catch up. He started biting boiled eggs normally just 3 days ago. He doesn't like meat much... was feeding farmina wet food...

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
You should have had him checked out by the Vet as Joanne suggested as he should have no problem chewing by that age. You could also feed him kibble but soak it first, but I would find out why he isn't chewing first.
Again. We had him checked out. His teeth have just started showing. Since he was underweight his growth is slower than what is usually the normal trend seen in collies of his age.
Thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts