Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a german shepherd/belgian malinois mix who will be 7 years old in a few months. When she was a puppy, she was introduced into a home with two golden retrievers. Although they adapted to her, there was never much interaction. They would sometimes play, but mostly the goldens ignored her.
The two older dogs have passed away and she’s been on her own for about a year. She is very protective of her yard and of me. She has bitten or chased dogs who were in our yard. She’s not that crazy about other people, either, but has never bitten a human.
I’m considering adding a puppy to the family, but based on what I’ve written, it doesn’t seem like such a good idea. Someone is always around to supervise, but it can only take a few seconds for disaster to happen.
If I wait until she passes, it will probably be too late to ever get another dog, since it would probably live past my own expiration date. I miss my goldens, though, and even though she’s a lovable dog, she‘s not particularly loving, if that makes sense.
Both choices seem undesirable and so I’m looking for suggestions or advice.
Thanks..

·
Registered
821 Posts
I would be more inclined to adopt an adult dog from a shelter. I know a lot of shelters have a trial period. If it doesn't take then you have a way out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Even though she seems aggressive, maybe and I say again maybe, her mother insickts will Kick in if you get a puppy of the same breed and she will soften, again I’m not an expert and this is just an idea, it could work but if you so desperately need another dog, then getting an older one could be better. I. would suggest to contact an expert for this kind of matters.:unsure:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I wouldn’t say I’m desperate ;). In fact, if she’s the last dog in my life, so be it. The shelter adoption idea seems good, we could all go on walks and so forth in a neutral area and see how it goes.
Thanks for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts