Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently adopted an 8 month old puppy named Daisy. I was told that she is a Vizsla/Dachsund mix. I had been looking for 2nd dog for awhile and a Dachsund was on my list of dogs to consider so I completed an application for Daisy and was approved. Daisy was described as mellow indoors, mostly housebroken, and except for some food issues, got along with other dogs and was ok with cats.

The reality is that she is not mellow at all, ever, she barks at the sound of a pin dropping. She is not just food aggressive but toy aggressive, lap aggressive, etc. and she goes absolutely insane when she sees the cat. Nothing can be done to redirect her - not even food.

My other dog, Penny, is almost 9 yrs old. I wanted a second dog because of Penny. I love her so much and can't even think about a time when she wont be here with me. My cat, Dusty, is a rescue and it took her a good long time to come out of her shell and trust me and feel comfortable - now she either stays outside or hides in the basement.

I was prepared for a high energy, somewhat stubborn dog but I thought I knew some basic dog training and could handle it. When Penny was a puppy, she was just so easy going and tuned into me. Daisy is nothing at all like Penny and I'm in way way over my head.

Daisy is a beautiful dog and seems smart. I walk her, ride my bike with her, take her to the dog park, take her off leash to the creek. But nothing seems enough to keep her calm for very long. I feel like I've brought stress and chaos into our home and into my pets' lives and I don't know how to fix it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
1. When she stops barking (even to just take a breath), click and treat.

2. Does she resource guard towards you or Penny? Or both?

3. When Daisy sees a cat, shes too focused on the cat to want treats. When she sees the cat, guide her away from the cat until she calms down. Ask for a sit, then bring her back. Soon she'll realize that when she sits and is calm, she can go back in and see the cat, but if she gets too excited, she'll be taken away from the cat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Everything is directed at Penny. She pees over Penny's pee, she tries to knock Penny off of my lap, she hogs the toys and won't let Penny play with anything. She tries to intimidate Penny.

Yes, she is long and low to the ground. She has some features and characteristics of a Vizsla but she vocalizes like a hound. Some of the sounds she makes are really interesting. And she can run so so fast....crazy fast. I do love watching her when she takes off at the dog park.

I posted two pictures in her profile.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts