Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how you folks with children and lives and whatnot do it, but man, my Bree is wearing me out and I'm getting burnt out on all the training and entertaining! You'd think with almost a year under my belt, I'd be use to it. No such luck. Apparently, learning to be unlazy takes more time than learning to cook real food...

Today is a good example - I walked Bree for an hour this morning before work and gave her a meaty bone for breakfast, and this evening gave her a new homemade puzzle box that took her 15 minutes to defeat, did some 101 Things To Do With A Box training and played indoor fetch (so wet and cold outside!), all of which took her edge off but really, she was super obsessed with "the new cat" (one of our cats went to the vet/groomer and hates Bree and so, of course, was New And Exciting to her) and so she has been hyper alert and grumbling (her normal talking) for the 4 hours since I've been home. I can't hardly stretch without getting the "OMG, are we doing something?! Please, oh PLEASE can we do something? No? My life sucks...." looks (trust me, if you saw here, you'd agree that's what she is thinking :p).

Ah well, someone want to tell me to quit whining? Any motivational statements about how to make walking/running in the cold, dark, rainy mornings/evenings enjoyable? Any other tips for keeping your dog happily exhausted and being able to relax at the same time?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! I would love to do dog sports, but Bree is still too reactive on leash to be around that many energetic dogs. But maybe next year, which is half my motivation for continuing to work on her reactivity :)

@Lilliput- luckily (?), I've done something crazy and signed up for a relay race in June that 4 times longer than I can run on my best days right now and I do have teammates who can commiserate with me. I whine because they are much more in shape than me (one ran 4 half-marathons in 4 days and felt better for it, and I can barely manage 3 miles at a slow jog), but you're right - they are good encouragement.

And if I had the space for a treadmill, even a doggy treadmill, I'd have one in a heartbeat! Can someone start a dog-and-people gym out here so I can attend? :p

Seriously though, thanks for the encouragement. I think I can handle my morning walk now and Bree is way ready to go, so she is doubly thankful :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, rewards are super helpful! I set up my training schedule so that every 5 miles = 1 purchased coffee (yes, I did convert to the Pac. NW addiction to coffee) and making every work-out in a month (80% of which is walking/running outside with the pup) = I get a spa day and massage and a new book to read at the spa. The thought of not getting my coffee this afternoon and not getting a massage because I wanted to sleep in was not appealing after all.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Ya'll exhaust me with your training plans! Make me feel like a slacker with my going home, giving lovings and going to bed.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Thanks everyone! I would love to do dog sports, but Bree is still too reactive on leash to be around that many energetic dogs. But maybe next year, which is half my motivation for continuing to work on her reactivity :)

@Lilliput- luckily (?), I've done something crazy and signed up for a relay race in June that 4 times longer than I can run on my best days right now and I do have teammates who can commiserate with me. I whine because they are much more in shape than me (one ran 4 half-marathons in 4 days and felt better for it, and I can barely manage 3 miles at a slow jog), but you're right - they are good encouragement.

And if I had the space for a treadmill, even a doggy treadmill, I'd have one in a heartbeat! Can someone start a dog-and-people gym out here so I can attend? :p

Seriously though, thanks for the encouragement. I think I can handle my morning walk now and Bree is way ready to go, so she is doubly thankful :)
You could start with something like Rally-O. It's a lot calmer and there is only one dog in the ring at a time (unless you do team). Plus with some venues you can bring treats and some types of toys in the ring in the beginning levels.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I have one little tip for you. I walk Kabota at 9pm. At 8:15, I start tea, it's ready to drink by 8:30. (Water done boiling, tea steeped, cooled down enough to drink.) I drink the hot hot tea and warm my hands on the cup for half an hour, and I've noticed it really helps with the cold outside that gets through all my layers.

Celestial Seasonings released their Christmas Sugar Plum tea. It's delicious!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
O, Rally-O would be a good choice! I'll look into it. And I love the hot tea idea! I do that ooccasionally with my morning coffee, but it never occurred to me to do it for evenings too. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 11 of 11 Posts