Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we adopted Kimber on Monday and they told us that he is not house broken. So we get home and take him out every 2 hours sometimes he goes potty sometimes he doesn't. When he went for his bath on Tuesday he was there for 4 hours and held it the entire time (4 1/2 hours) so I thought I would try letting him/us sleep through the night and not take him out. So we did and that has worked out fine. He never whines or tells me when he needs to go out though. Usually I take him out when Kelsey needs to go out or after meals. I ALWAYS praise him when he goes and I think he is started to pee on command "Go Potty".

When we got home from Petsmart last night we took him for a walk and let him Pee. I didn't give him alot of time for #2 because he has only been going once a day and he already had that morning. Well we come inside and he plays with his toys and then we all settle down for the night and I heard him in the kitchen going #2. By the time I got in there he was done and my husband got his shoes on and took him to his potty place.

How do I get Kimber to tell me if he needs to go out? Since he had this accident I am thinking I need to be ready at all times to grab him and run him out.....

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
in all of my dogs so far (6) I have only had one dog "tell me" he needed to go out...I think its more about looking for the subtle cues that are already there and going out often.

so yeah, Iam useless on this one :p

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow I must be spoiled with Kelsey then because she will tell me LoL

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i think you may need to take him out a bit more often....do you keep him confined at night? clover is in my room w me w the door closed, he's woken me up a couple of times when he had diarrhea...whined a lot...but otherwise he'll hold it till morning....also, make sure you put him out to go right before bedtime since he'll have to hold it for quite a while...
kelsey will have much better control of everything than kimber since she is a grown up...so he'll need to go out more often than her...especially since he is new in the house he'll need extra trips out and lots of reward for going outside.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Try potty bell, our dogs do great with them for letting us know when they need to go & remember to have a potty PARTY, not just praise.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
WOW I must be spoiled-all our dogs have asked out! Mikey will actually come tell you if you don't see him at the door-he'll come whine at us and huff and puff...Mandy screams at the door to go out, and to come in.
Mikey won't ask back in, so we have to watch him. He just sits on the porch and waits ;) hehe

I'd try the bell thing. Hang a bell on each side of the door (in and out) and ring it when you let him in or out. He'll soon start ringing the bell himself I'm sure :)
We're actaully going to do this soon for Mikey because he won't ask in :)

I'm new to puppies and I would like to ask how those potty bells work?
Sorry if it's a stupid question :p
Not at all :) (I had a prof who used to say 'there's no such thing as a stupid question-of course there is!! BUT ask anyways!!! :p heheh)

Anyways more or less as I explained-Here's a longer 'how to"
How To "Potty Bell" Train Your Puppy | How To Do Things.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts