Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maricopa County Animal Care and Control just posted 3 month old puppies that are to be euthanized today if not adopted. They are so full and people are not even adopting puppies yet CL is selling puppies for hundreds of dollars just fine. Sorry to be a bitchy anti breeder but this is just proof that people who buy pure breds are doing it for the "look I have a pure bred" or breeding purposes. Otherwise these cute puppies would not be on the E list at 3 months of age.

On happy note...our county seems to be a bit more aware of health issues because one dog has kennel cough and they stated it on the ad along with the fact that he will go home with meds :)

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
*sigh*

perhaps make a craigslist add linking to the shelter site? I've seen people do that here.

Yea thats where it was, on CL. The people who work there post dogs on the E list. I even copy and repaste them. I think they put up ads every day or every other day. Someone was looking for a puppy right after it was posted so I emailed him telling him there are so many puppies at the pound...wanna know what he said? "If I wanted a dumb puppy from the dumb pound I would go" then used some profanity. Such trash

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Yea thats where it was, on CL. The people who work there post dogs on the E list. I even copy and repaste them. I think they put up ads every day or every other day. Someone was looking for a puppy right after it was posted so I emailed him telling him there are so many puppies at the pound...wanna know what he said? "If I wanted a dumb puppy from the dumb pound I would go" then used some profanity. Such trash

Ugh thats sickening. Probably looking for a bait dog

I had a lady walk into my shop once and ask where the "real pets" were...

I told her these were "real" pets...

"No no no the real pets...the dogs and cats" she said

I then told her how to get to the city pound. She looked at me discusted and then had the nerve to ask where a pet shop that sold dogs was. I told her that if her intent was to buy a pet shop dog, I was not interested in helping her, and she left in a huff.

I just don't get it.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ugh thats sickening. Probably looking for a bait dog

I had a lady walk into my shop once and ask where the "real pets" were...

I told her these were "real" pets...

"No no no the real pets...the dogs and cats" she said

I then told her how to get to the city pound. She looked at me discusted and then had the nerve to ask where a pet shop that sold dogs was. I told her that if her intent was to buy a pet shop dog, I was not interested in helping her, and she left in a huff.

I just don't get it.
Just got news they were put down :(

Good for you for standing up to that woman! Do you run your own shop? Is that where you sell your snakes n stuff?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Just got news they were put down :(

Good for you for standing up to that woman! Do you run your own shop? Is that where you sell your snakes n stuff?

of course they were put down. *sigh* I'd hate to be the person that has to euthanize dogs, puppies of all things.

People would come in and ask for puppies/kittens ALL. THE. TIME. There was a shop a mile or so away that sold them, but they have since shut down.

I would always tell people "I don't know" and then tell them how to get to the pound...surprisingly most people liked the idea, but didn't know where the pound was located. So I did help a few dogs that way im sure.

I Manage a reptile specialty store. I sell my snake offspring through them. :)

ETA: people asking me where other shops are (for anything) is a pet peeve of mine anyway. Im not 411. Im not a phone book, or google. Its not hard to figure out where stuff is.

It annoys me to no end...you wouldn't go into Target and tell a clerk "this place blows, it doesn't have what I want, when I want it...wheres wallmart? Can you give me their number? Detailed directions to their locations too."

some people

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had to assist in some real sad euthanazias during my time at the vets office. One being an inbred kitten at 10 weeks of age :( It is too difficult for me to deal with. I find it sad that people can't rescue. I understand some people already have pets who need young ones so the big one can "put it in its place" but there are pups and young dogs at the pounds and shelters. I had somebody call me once (at my vets office) asking for a vet near them....I was like "if I even knew I wouldn't tell you"

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think shelter dogs are the best dogs out there, dogs that havent been in a bad situation like that are kinda stuck up sometimes, keyword sometimes lol.
I didnt get Bubby, or my mom's dog Sissy from a shelter, and they are almost always a little....preppy :p
My mom's other dog Maisy came from a puppymil, bred, sent to a shelter, then adopted, and they gave her to us at 8yrs. Now she is 12, doesnt have any teeth, has an infection on the side of her head, and has a cancer tumor on her belly. Yes she is being treated but I think she needs to be put down :/

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i am always astounded by the reactions of people to rescue dogs. imo it is such a bargain! i mean, you get a dog/pup that usually has its shots and/or is altered, already, and sometimes you can also get a reasonable idea of what behavioral issues may arise. when i was looking for a dog, i contacted/researched rescues from all over the place and the adoption fee averaged $100-$200, what a bargain! my dog was $125 and that included a coupon for the initial vet check-up, which my vet accepted even though it was out of the area. i even talked to shelters whoes adoption fee was as low as $20 and included all i stated plus obedience training classes.....my neighbor adopted a small chihuahua/pug/cocker/beagle mix, is that a mutt or a designer dog? anyway, who wants a dog that looks just like everyone else's? i don't know anyone who has the same kind of dog i have (don't really know what kind he is anyway:)) that is way cooler...imo

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Both Critter and Emma were "gifted" to me by the animal shelters. They waived the fees because they were senior dogs....I've had tons of people ask me how much I paid for Critter...and wanting to breed her:rolleyes:

I even had one woman tell me that pomeranians never get turned in to shelters, which is why she wanted to breed hers, because there is a shortage of them.:rolleyes: .... Funny how mine apeared in one.

who wants a dog that looks just like everyone else's?

I agree....but the even wierder thing IMO...... are people with three of the same breed in the same color...that always leaves me saying ....WTH?

I see this alot with lab owners... why do you want three dogs that are identical? How do you tell them apart???

This coming from a person with 5 brown dogs...lol...but hey, mine all are different sizes!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Both Critter and Emma were "gifted" to me by the animal shelters. They waived the fees because they were senior dogs....I've had tons of people ask me how much I paid for Critter...and wanting to breed her:rolleyes:

I even had one woman tell me that pomeranians never get turned in to shelters, which is why she wanted to breed hers, because there is a shortage of them.:rolleyes: .... Funny how mine apeared in one.

I agree....but the even wierder thing IMO...... are people with three of the same breed in the same color...that always leaves me saying ....WTH?

I see this alot with lab owners... why do you want three dogs that are identical? How do you tell them apart???

This coming from a person with 5 brown dogs...lol...but hey, mine all are different sizes!
LOL I have two chihuahuas, both are black and tan one has white. Have you noticed in my pics that 4 of my dogs are black and tan? two have some white LOL. This was not even done on purpose. Tinkerbell was our first dog, then Harvick who happened to be black and tan like her, then we found Wendy on the streets and she is blk/tan/white, the Peyton was just the cutest damn thing standing all hypnotized when getting scratched under his chin and he too is blk/tan/white LOL. Glacier is the odd man out :p I swear we did not plan the blk/tan thing haha our trainer always made fun of us for it

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I did notice all yours were black lol

Ours wasn't planned either...I just woke up one day and said to my husband...."um, have you ever noticed all our dogs are the same color?"

Even our first dog, Scooter, matched the group.

They aren't actually the exact same, two are fawn/tan and the rest are red/brown...but they sure are similar color!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
i had a black bunny, a black cat and a black fish all at the same time! now i have an orange and cream cat and my dog is brown brindle...no more matching here!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did notice all yours were black lol

Ours wasn't planned either...I just woke up one day and said to my husband...."um, have you ever noticed all our dogs are the same color?"

Even our first dog, Scooter, matched the group.

They aren't actually the exact same, two are fawn/tan and the rest are red/brown...but they sure are similar color!

LOL Seriously we didn't think of it at first when getting Peyton that he was the same colors. Its funny when we walk all 4 people (ignorant of course) think they are all related. All 4 have the same brown patterned bottoms too haha.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have 6 Miniature Australian Shepherds, and 3 of them are black tris. I just LOVE black tris :) Plus, aussies only come in 4 different colors, so with 6 I'm bound to have duplicates ;) (not counting for the non-standard colors that can be found now and then, but...)

I also love black cats, and have 4 solid black cats. 2 are long haired and 2 are short haired, but I have no problems telling them apart. Heck, I can have my eyes closed laying in bed or wherever, and know exactly which of my 19 cats is near me, simply by the feel of them on me, where they are, and touching their fur.

What's wrong with having animals that look alike? I also have several horse twins.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
I have 6 Miniature Australian Shepherds, and 3 of them are black tris. I just LOVE black tris :) Plus, aussies only come in 4 different colors, so with 6 I'm bound to have duplicates ;) (not counting for the non-standard colors that can be found now and then, but...)

I also love black cats, and have 4 solid black cats. 2 are long haired and 2 are short haired, but I have no problems telling them apart. Heck, I can have my eyes closed laying in bed or wherever, and know exactly which of my 19 cats is near me, simply by the feel of them on me, where they are, and touching their fur.

What's wrong with having animals that look alike? I also have several horse twins.
absolutely nothing, just a train of thought from a post about people who are neggative about rescue, and how we often end up with matching pets, even when they are different breeds;)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea most people are stuck to one breed forever and refuse to rescue. I have had everything from a dachshund, boxer and boxer mixes, terri-poo, beagle mix, pit, lab/collie, chi's, etc etc LOL I by no means have a fav can ya tell?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts