Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my in-laws are down for the weekend for American Thanksgiving. My MIL has a very old-school approach to dog training. She's not super physical or anything, but she thinks of dogs as pets, where as I think of my dogs as family.

Heidi is still not 100% potty trained, which is fine, accidents happen, I don't sweat it, and neither does my husband. Well my MIL yelled at Heidi for peeing inside after being let out. I calmly explained that we don't do that, we only treat for being outside and going potty. I also said that BCs can be quite soft in temperament, so any negative interaction can have major consequences. Well 15 minutes ago Heidi just had an accident, and immediately ran into the corner and looked scared. I've spent the past 15 minutes tossing her treats to come out.

She also chants commands and gets her extremely excited and then complains she jumps.

*meditate* they are leaving tomorrrrrrow.

·
Premium Member
Zoe, Phoenix, Alice - ACDx
4,325 Posts
Ugh, I'm sorry about your MIL. I have the same problem with my husband's family when we lived at their house for short time. It was not fun and I'm really sorry she yelled at your dog! That's not cool.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Oh that is the worst. Usually, if it's a stranger, I will snap them down in a minute for trying to reprimand my dog. A MIL though, that's really tricky.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just wait till you have kids...
lol this is the truth. I learned this the hard way with my niece and nephew. My puppy jumped up on them and mouthed them and knocked them over and they thought it was funny and cute, so they rewarded the behavior by dumping an entire package of treats on the floor for him:(

Took a lot of time to undo the damage of that one training session.

But now I know, if you *really* want to reinforce a behavior, dump $14 of treats on the floor the second your dog does the behavior.

·
Registered
285 Posts
i would have a polite word, as you wouldnt like anyone to intervene how you bring up your children, same thing. it is differcult to have words, when a family member is concerned, but i think anyone has the right to bring their dog up as they want, as long as the animal dosnt suffer.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Lol at the kids!

Funnily enough I have tried some of the training methods I have used on my dog on my kids and it works pretty well!

Like when we are leaving the house, I see my dog sitting nicely and my kids pushing and shoving to get to the door. I stand and wait (slip a treat to the dog) kids ask why we aren't leaving! I tell them.
Now when kids aren't exhibiting desired behavior when we are about to do something fun I wait until they do, and then reward!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I put a sign on my door that says this:

Dog teaching in progress by the adults of this home only.
Should you feel concern about our dogs behaviors do not engage our dog, bring it up to us.
We do not have any interest in advice on dog teaching. Please refrain from providing well meaning advice we are not interested in.
If you can not refrain, please do not enter the home.
If you do not refrain once you enter our home you will be subject to a trip home. Hope you didn't come a long ways.

Oh, and this applies to the methods we use with our children as well in teaching them what we feel is valuable for them to learn.

We appreciate you dropping by and if you end up stepping through the door we are excited to see you.

That took care of it for us. I have no issue asking people to leave if their presence is causing conflict for anyone in our home. Once they get that, they become respectful very quickly. And no, I will not explain our reasoning or debate about our choices. I know it's harsh, but it is truly effective.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.